Sunday, December 22, 2013

Top Ten YA Novels 2013 #9: Through The Ever Night by Veronica Rossi

Day 2! And this is a sequel of one of my top ten YA novels in 2012 which I love very much.

The ninth place belongs to

Through The Ever Night by Veronica Rossi

Synopsis:

It's been months since Aria learned of her mother's death.

Months since Perry became Blood Lord of the Tides, and months since Aria last saw him.


Now Aria and Perry are about to be reunited. It's a moment they've been longing for with countless expectations. And it's a moment that lives up to all of them. At least, at first.

Then it slips away. The Tides don't take kindly to former Dwellers like Aria. And the tribe is swirling out of Perry's control. With the Aether storms worsening every day, the only remaining hope for peace and safety is the Still Blue. But does this haven truly exist?

Threatened by false friends and powerful temptations, Aria and Perry wonder, Can their love survive through the ever night?

In this second book in her spellbinding Under the Never Sky trilogy, Veronica Rossi combines fantasy and sci-fi elements to create a captivating adventure-and a love story as perilous as it is unforgettable.

***

Date Read: January 8, 2013

My Review:


My Rating: 9/10

***

Top 5 Reasons Why I Like It:

1. It takes "blackmailing" to a whole new level
Bravo, bravo. This has to be one of the best blackmailing ever. It's not the technique that makes me cheer. It's the emotional brought forth. I hate, hate, HATE Hess so much for blackmailing a girl he himself exiled. It's just un-freaking-believable. And of course, the technique of blackmailing is very good too, otherwise it's hard to like it on just an emotional level.

2. Roar!
I really like Perry and Aria in Through The Ever Night because they show their character strength in their hardest times. But Roar is my favorite character in TTEN. He's so adorable and lovable. There are no words. You have to read it for yourself.

3. Stakes
It's probably an old thing to say, but it's true. Stakes are higher. Much higher than any of us anticipated. Yep, a dangerous streak in Through The Ever Night. Just how I like it.

4. The strength of love between Aria and Perry (There goes for Roar and Liv too)
Aria and Perry first (because they are my favorite couple in the trilogy). Even when people despise Aria, even when people doubt Perry, even when their hope to be together seems more impossible each passing second, they still believe each other. It's brilliant. Perfect.

Roar and Liv are so different from Aria and Perry in many ways, but in some ways their problems are the same. Separated, with no hope to get back together unless they rebel. They still cling to their love for each other. And both of them will sacrifice themselves to save each other. It's heartbreaking and touching at the same time

5. Aria
Aria, is my second most favorite character in TTEN. She's not the whiny girl in Under The Never Sky anymore. She's grown. Changed. And she's determined to survive. The strength of her has finally shone through. And it's radiant.

***

Why I recommend this book/series:

I like Under The Never Sky (otherwise how the hell would it make to my 2012 Top Ten YA Novels list?). But I admit that there are some significant flaws that even I can't skip. So I won't wholeheartedly recommend it to just about every YA readers. However I cannot say the same to Through The Ever Night. TTEN is just so much better than UTNS from the start. This book doesn't even take time to bullshit around just for a little while (Okay, I'm not saying UTNS is bullshiting around, but some of the other readers seems to think so...). Action and emotion mingle together into a colorful vortex. Damn, Through The Ever Night is nothing short of amazing. 

***

Do I like the cover?

It's okay. I like the one on Under The Never Sky more. I thought Perry was blonde... But the green sky seems dangerous and it fits the story. 

***

Top 3 Favorite Scenes: (Beware Spoilers)

1. Aria and Perry's Reunion (Chapter 1):

One word: Adorable. I think that covers it all. :)

2. Aria and Liv's talk (Chapter 26)

Well, I'm not sure if I liked Liv before while I was reading Roar and Liv or the previous chapters of Through The Ever Night. But after this one... let's just say she's a strong and likable girl :)

3. Another Roar and Liv scene (Chapter 32)

It's heart-breaking. But it's one of the best scenes ever. 

***

OTP:

Are you seriously telling me to choose between Aria/Perry and Roar/Liv??? I simply can't!

No comments:

Post a Comment