Saturday, December 21, 2013

Top Ten YA Novels 2013 #10: Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

I'm very excited to present my top ten YA novels in the following days! Day 1 holds a special place. The tenth place is always the hardest to choose, because there are so many almost-as-good books peeking out in the eleventh, twelfth places!

And now, the tenth place belongs to:

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Synopsis:

The fates of Cinder and Scarlet collide as a Lunar threat spreads across the Earth...

Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.

***

Date Read: February 7, 2013


My Rating: 9/10

Top 5 Reasons Why I Like It:

1. Merging the two stories together
I mean, how cool is that? Cinder and Scarlet, two strangers, encountered two different problems, collide together and WORK together? This ought to be one of the best plots ever.

2. The villains are playing their part well
Queen Levana. I like to refer her as the Master Bitch Queen. But I have to admit, she's a true villain. I hate her with all my passion. That is how a villain should be.

3. Captain Thorne!
Yep, Captain Carswell Thorne. He's really cute and lovable. And guess what? We'll see him star in Cress once again... with Cress!!! (Excuse me while I swoon)

4. Wolf!
Another impossibly adorable yet dangerous character. I really do love the relationship between Scarlet and Wolf. And I'm so happy that we'll see more Wolf-Scarlet in Cress.

5. Cliffhanger
It leaves me so hanged that I can't think of anything but Scarlet and what might happen in Cress in about... a week or so.
P.S. You might think this is not a lot of time, but considering my busy lifestyle in this freaking busy city, that's a helluva long time.

***

Why I recommend this book/series:

Actually, it's not just the book that I recommend. The whole freaking series is awesome. A world set after the 4th World War. Cinder, a mechanic with a life that is like a high-tech version of Cinderella. The change of her life is so similar to Cinderella's, only Cinder's fate is nowhere as good as Cinderella... And Scarlet, trying to find her grandmother, only to encounter a danger that can throw her world into chaos, and has to ally with someone she's never met before, and can possibly be dangerous... And their story collides. Like, freaking collides with sparks and burns and whatnot. This is dynamic. It's hard not to like this series because there's nothing I can't like.

***

Do I like the cover?

It looks a bit strange to me at first, but I've grown to like it. Though I have to say, Cress's cover is awesome.

***

Top 3 Favorite Scenes: (Beware spoilers)

1. When Wolf asks Scarlet what carrots are (Chapter 3)

This is one of the funniest scene ever. Scarlet, handing some carrots to Wolf, and Wolf asks what CARROTS are? Out of every vegetables? I couldn't stop laughing when I first read the scene, and I still can't stop snickering whenever I read this scene.

2. Chapter 46 (I mean the whole chapter)

Scarlet and Wolf! Nothing more is needed to be said. :3

3. Various conversations between Cinder and Thorne

Okay, that's not really a scene. But trust me, they're hilarious. Like this one:

A relieved grin filled up Thorne's face. "We're having another moment, aren't we?
"If by a moment, you mean me not wanting to strangle you for the first time since we met, then I guess we are."
*wink

***

OTP: Scarlet and Wolf!

P.S. Cinder and Thorne are a close second. But I know they will never, ever be an item :p

No comments:

Post a Comment