Monday, December 23, 2013

Top Ten YA Novels 2013 #8: The Iron Traitor by Julie Kagawa

Ooh. Another Julie Kagawa's book. She's one of my favorite authors of all time and I'm happy that her books astonish me once again!

The eighth place belongs to:

The Iron Traitor by Julie Kagawa

Synopsis:

In the real world, when you vanish into thin air for a week, people tend to notice.

After his unexpected journey into the lands of the fey, Ethan Chase just wants to get back to normal. Well, as "normal" as you can be when you see faeries every day of your life. Suddenly the former loner with the bad reputation has someone to try for-his girlfriend, Kenzie. Never mind that he's forbidden to see her again.

But when your name is Ethan Chase and your sister is one of the most powerful faeries in the Nevernever, "normal" simply isn't to be. For Ethan's nephew, Keirran, is missing, and may be on the verge of doing something unthinkable in the name of saving his own love. Something that will fracture the human and faery worlds forever, and give rise to the dangerous fey known as the Forgotten. As Ethan's and Keirran's fates entwine and Keirran slips further into darkness, Ethan's next choice may decide the fate of them all.

***

Date Read: October 10, 2013

My Review:


My Rating: 9/10

***

Top 5 Reasons Why I Like It:

1. Unexpected Journey
Sorry I didn't mean to sound like the Hobbit. But seriously, this is one hell of an unexpected ride. Ethan, trying to get back to his semi-normal life when (again) some fey wants something from him? And not to mention the journey is full of action, blood and magic. You have no idea how many times I had to put down the book just to catch a breath.

2. Back to Nevernever... again
I really miss it, you know. It seems like I'll never get enough even after re-reading The Iron Fey series and The Lost Prince again and again. So yeah, it's so good to be back to the Fey world.

3. Cliffhanger Ending
Another killer cliffhanger, just like The Eternity Cure. Really, Julie, you are the expert of cliffhanger sequel endings. Now I'm dying to read the third book.

4. Ethan!
Okay, I won't say anything like he's cute or swoon worth or anything like that. Because he's far from that guy. But... well, let's just say I fell in love with him more right from the second I open the book.

5. More Dangerous
What I mean is that the Call of the Forgotten series is way more dangerous than the original Iron Fey series. Yes, The Iron Fey is pretty dangerous. But Call of The Forgotten? With the real world in the equation of dangerous? That's... there are no words to describe how thrilling it is.

***

Why I Recommend This Book/Series

Before you ask if I recommend the book itself of the series, I suggest you to read the original Iron Fey series first. Now, I think The Lost Prince is pretty good, but I can't help but get bored at some point in the story. However, there's no such thing as boring in The Iron Traitor. Whether they're plot twists are emotional ride, you just want more and more. And then it ends with a bang, leaving you "why the hell is the sequel one year away from us? I'm gonna die waiting for it!". A pretty awesome sequel, if you ask me.

***

Do I like the cover?

It looks a bit strange to me at first, because I always picture Keirran more angular and sharp. But then I've grown to like this cover, especially with those silver eyes (Ash!)

***

Top 3 Favorite Scenes:(Beware Spoilers)

1. Ethan and his friends being chased by Ash (P.166)
I know this sounds absurd. But the whole Razor-calling-Ash-a-dark-elf thing is so funny.

2. The kiss scene (P.193-196)
Aww, Ethan and Kenzie. :3

3. The punch scene (P. 325-326)
Okay, I like Keirran. I truly do. But sometimes he's pissing even me off, let alone Ethan. And as sick as it sounds, I kinda like the fact that Ethan punch him. Multiple times.

***

OTP:
Duh. Ethan and Kenzie of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment