Friday, October 11, 2013

The Iron Traitor: Review

Synopsis:

In the real world, when you vanish into thin air for a week, people tend to notice.

After his unexpected journey into the lands of the fey, Ethan Chase just wants to get back to normal. Well, as "normal" as you can be when you see faeries every day of your life. Suddenly the former loner with the bad reputation has someone to try for-his girlfriend, Kenzie. Never mind that he's forbidden to see her again.

But when your name is Ethan Chase and your sister is one of the most powerful faeries in the Nevernever, "normal" simply isn't to be. For Ethan's nephew, Keirran, is missing, and may be on the verge of doing something unthinkable in the name of saving his own love. Something that will fracture the human and faery worlds forever, and give rise to the dangerous fey known as the Forgotten. As Ethan's and Keirran's fates entwine and Keirran slips further into darkness, Ethan's next choice may decide the fate of them all.

***

Oh my god. Did I just read The Iron Traitor? Yes, I did. And this book is crazy to say at least. The Iron Traitor has me hooked right from the second I picked up the book. The book is so full of fights and twists and oh yeah, some honest-to-goodness hotness. A really good read to start a morning.

Ethan Chase is back, and trying to return to his normal life --- well, as normal as it can be when you have a sister who is one of the most powerful and lethal fey in the Nevernever and you have the Sight that can cause you endless trouble and all the stuff. Except... things doesn't work out that well for him because Keirran is gone. And everyone, however good or bad, is seeking him out. And here goes all the craziness.

One... and the only one minor problem I have encountered is that the book is a little bit unbalanced. I mean, it's supposed to be about the Forgotten, right? And their nefarious plans to do god knows what? Not that I'm completely complaining, because the story line is still crazy awesome, the element of the Forgotten always lurks behind and rarely stands out in the book. I'm sure we'll see more crazy Forgotten faeries in the sequel.

But The Iron Traitor is so much better than The Lost Prince and even the previous four Iron Fey books in so many ways. The fights are getting infinitely more interesting. I can't give out too much information, but all I can say is that battling with a super ancient being and pissing off all courts within seconds is really one of the best catalyst for mayhem. The characters from the original Iron Fey series get more intertwined with those in The Iron Traitor, one of the many aspects that I like most. Needless to mention we get to see more Puck! Eeep!

Ethan and Kenzie? They are really adorable together and it's hard not to swoon whenever they have one-on-one time together (though there aren't much... sigh). So are Keirran and Annwyl, though I'm kind of reluctant to admit that. Unlike The Lost Prince, there are more moments that reminds me of the original Iron Fey series. The struggling in all the main characters is perfectly visible but they are all lovable in their own way. Especially Ethan, who is not the constant jackass and asshole anymore. Sweeter, and still very protective. 

Side note: Keirran... well, I love him, because he's gone great lengths for Annwyl, and that reminds me of Ash soooooo much. He's also very polite and fierce. But I admit that he makes stupid decisions all the time and sometimes that pisses me off a little. And not to mention his decisions are... let's just say they're lethal at least.

I'm also very surprised that a lot of things have happened in this book. Especially when this is not one of those five-hundred-or-something-pages book. So many spark and burn. So many twists and surprises. Multiple troubles happen at the very freaking same time. I don't know how the author managed to put all the stuff together without seeming awkward. Hell, I'm not sure how Ethan manages to go on without getting his head exploded. I'm just a bystander (you know, I'm a reader), and I feel too hot and dizzy. And the ending? It's very, very cruel to say at the very least. You can't just leave it like that and make us wait for a year AGAIN, Julie. I've done enough of that with The Forever Song and now one more!? It' s an understatement to say the wait will be excruciating. 

I'm sorry that's not a short review, but I just can't help it. The book is so full of perfection that I feel like I will explode if I don't let it out.

Rating: 9/10 

P.S. I think I've never rated a sequel that is not a final installment a 9 before. But this book is beyond the level of perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment