Monday, December 23, 2013

Under Different Stars: Review

Synopsis:

All she wants is a home, but can she find one...UNDER DIFFERENT STARS

Kricket Hollowell is normally not one to wish upon stars; she believes they’re rarely in her favor. Well versed at dodging caseworkers from Chicago’s foster care system, the past few years on her own have made Kricket an expert at the art of survival and blending in. With her 18th birthday fast approaching, she dreams of the day when she can stop running and find what her heart needs most: a home.

Trey Allairis hates Earth and doubts that anyone from his world can thrive here. What he’s learning of Kricket and her existence away from her true home only confirms his theory. But, when he and Kricket lie together under the stars of Ethar, counting them all may be easier than letting her go.

Kyon Ensin’s secrets number the stars; he knows more about Kricket's gifts than anyone and plans to possess her because of them. He also knows she’s more valuable than any fire in the night sky. He’ll move the heavens and align them all in order to make her his own.

When everything in their world can be broken, will Kricket rely upon love to save her under different stars?

***

Okay, I have to admit. Under Different Stars is very good.

But before the goodness, I was very pissed off. That's right. I can't keep myself from cursing every time I turn on a new page. Not because of Kricket. In fact, Kricket is one of the reasons I didn't throw my e-reader across the room at the first place. But we'll get back to Kricket's awesomeness later. What makes me want to throw my e-reader is Trey. Yes, you read it right. TREY ALLAIRIS. I really like that guy now. But before I like him, I want to punch him in his face every time he looks at Kricket like she's something lesser or telling her that she can't go back to Earth. Not that I want to punch him now. Just saying.

Enough of the outburst. Under Different Stars is very good in so many ways that I can't even begin to count. Yes, this is another interstar novel. But this world is fascinating. Ethar is fascinating. And very, very dangerous. A perfect place for a great tale. Kricket is a great character. She might not be as strong as Evie from Inescapable. But she's very smart and funny. It's very easy to like her. Jax and Wayra are my favorite characters as well. They're nice and fun and I hope I will see more of them in the sequel (if there's a sequel, of course). Trey... well, I don't really like him at first. But I've grown to like him now. And I really hope it stays this way.

I don't want to spoil you too much. But... okay, let's see. The politic games between houses of Ethar is very complicated. Of course to us readers this is a good "complicated". It's hard to imagine how the author plan this. I'm certainly not an expert on political games, but this... this is dangerous and cunning. Just how I like it.

I think Under Different Stars is worth a shot. Even if you haven't read anything from Amy, I'd say this is one you should give it a try.

P.S. Of course you should also try Inescapable too. The Premonition series is addicting, I swear.

Rating: 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment