Saturday, December 27, 2014

Top Ten YA Novels 2014 #5: Trial by Fire by Josephine Angelini

My top 5 favorite books! Oh, this is going to be awesome.

The fifth place belongs to:

Trial by Fire by Josephine Angelini

Synopsis:

This world is trying to kill Lily Proctor. Her life-threatening allergies keep her from enjoying experiences that others in her hometown of Salem take for granted, which is why she is determined to enjoy her first high school party with her best friend and longtime crush, Tristan. But after a humiliating incident in front of half her graduating class, Lily wishes she could just disappear.

Suddenly, Lily is in a different Salem—one overrun with horrifying creatures and ruled by powerful women called Crucibles. Strongest and cruelest of them all is Lillian . . . Lily's other self in this alternate universe.

What makes Lily weak at home is what makes her extraordinary in New Salem. In this confusing world, Lily is torn between responsibilities she can't hope to shoulder alone and a love she never expected.

***

Date Read: September 6, 2014


My rating: 8.5/10

***

Top 3 reasons why I like it:

1. Science = witchcraft? What?

I'm a science student and damn, why is witchcraft this awesome? If you can use your own powers just to investigate how cells work and how the Krebs cycle operates, without any sort of equipment like electron microscope or some really complicated things, this is the very definition of holy crap. And a world powered by witchcraft using all the scientific principles but without any sort of negative consequences such as pollution? Wow. I'm getting really jealous. I love science and I would like to know what kind of unimaginable things they can find.

2. Rowan

There's no way I don't like Rowan. He's practically the perfect guy (well, almost, and the imperfections just makes him even better). Smart, protective, funny, you name it. He's adorable when he's confused about something. There's a scene where Lily calls him a native American and he has no idea what is a "native American". That makes me laugh a lot. I can't wait to read more about him in the next book. (Speaking of the next book, is it bad I want a blurb right now? Because I can't wait anymore!)

3. The difference between Lily and Lillian

I like Lily and of course I, um, don't like Lillian ("don't like" probably isn't strong enough). But I understand why Lillian does her thing. What she saw might actually be a reflection of our world's - the real world's- future. Pollution is imminent and if we don't control it now, it might be too late. It IS too late to reverse every damage we made. I like that Angelini point that out in a brutal way, to make us realize once again just how cruel we are to the piece of land we're living on. But I also like that Lily has hope that science will also save them from destruction, and that's what I believe too. I guess I read too much dystopian novels, because I'm always planning for a way out.

***

Why I recommend this book or series?

Oh come on, isn't the above words good enough to persuade you to read this book?

(Maybe not, but whatever. I think they are good enough)

***

Do I like the cover?

Hell yes. It's beautiful

***

Top 3 favorite scenes:

1. When Rowan dye Lily's hair

As much as I know there are tons of nitrogenous compounds in pee that makes a good dye, "peeing" on Lily's head is still disgusting and very funny.

2. Rowan's confession.

It just makes me happy. Answer enough?

3. When Rowan gives Lily the jam.

It seems like I like a lot of small scenes between Lily and Rowan. When Rowan gives her the jar of jam, it shows that Rowan has a really good heart.

***

OTP: Well, duh. I love Lily and Rowan!

No comments:

Post a Comment