Sunday, December 28, 2014

Top Ten YA Novels 2014 #4: The Forever Song by Julie Kagawa

The last installment of one of my absolute favorite trilogies!

The fourth place belongs to:

The Forever Song by Julie Kagawa

Synopsis:

Vengeance will be hers.

Allison Sekemoto once struggled with the question: human or monster? With the death of her love, Zeke, she has her answer.

Monster.


Allie will embrace her cold vampire side to hunt down and end Sarren, the psychopathic vampire who murdered Zeke. But the trail is bloody and long, and Sarren has left many surprises for Allie and her companions - her creator Kanin, and her blood brother, Jackal. The trail is leading straight to the one place they must protect at any cost - the last vampire-free zone on Earth, Eden. And Sarren has one final, brutal shock in store for Allie.

In a ruined world where no life is sacred and former allies can turn on you in one heartbeat, Allie will face her darkest days. And if she succeeds, her triumph will be short-lived in the face of surviving forever alone.

THE FINAL HUNT IS ON.

***

Date Read: March 16, 2014

My review:


My rating: 10/10 (Seriously can I give this book a hundred million stars PLEASE?) 

(Yes I copy the whole rating in it)

***

(Okay first, I really need to get this out of my system. It's been a long time since I read The Forever Song even though I remember a lot of details. And even longer since I actually read the synopsis. I know how The Forever Song ends, but reading the synopsis still makes we want to cry. That's how awesome and messed-up it is.)

This will make up for my original review that is a bunch of gifs combined with nonsense words, now that I'm more emotionally, um, stable.

Top 3 reasons why I like it: 

1. This book is just bat-shit crazy.

Oh yeah, its craziness rivals Light by Michael Grant. Seriously. Light is probably the craziest novel I've ever read (and bloodiest). The Forever Song is a close runner-up. While Light is more of a bloody mess and glorious ending, this book just mess you head up really bad. Let me tell you, this book is probably one of the few books that I consider as "emotionally draining". Because it just sucks my sanity right out of my mind, and I can't even concentrate at school after reading it. 

2. The big reverse

The place is reversed between Allie and Zeke. In the previous two books, Zeke was the anchor of Allie's life and her inner monster. But in The Forever Song, their place has changed. Allie is the one helping Zeke to adjust his new and bloody vampire life. I like it because it's a full display of just how mentally strong and human Allie is. She has faith in Zeke even in the direst situation, even when Zeke has no faith in himself. It's also because it solidifies their relationship further. I can't live if they are not together.

3. Julie's writing

I always love Julie's writing style. But this is definitely one of her best besides The Iron Knight. As insane as Sarren is, he surely comes up with the best lines. It's almost poetic. I'm not familiar with poems and stuff, but as beautiful as it sounds, it just makes Sarren more of a creepy psychotic vampire. The twist of his personality is very impressive. If this is going to be a movie, Julie's words just deliver the best villain of all time.

***

Why I recommend this book or series:

It's the same reason as before, when The Eternity Cure was my top ten favorite books in 2013. I like how the vampires aren't glittery and angelic. They are dark and bloody creatures and exist at night. I also think it's a great lesson of humanity. It shows just how people can be twisted into something unrecognizable on the verge of disaster and apocalypse. And how people can be strong even in the bleakest situation. It's left a great mark in my life. And I hope it will to others.

***

Do I like the cover?

It's okay. But it's not exactly hard to guess the ending when there's an infinity sign on the cover. 

***

Top 3 favorite scenes:

1. The very last scene

It's hopeful and it brings tears to my eyes. I love endings like that.

2. The part where Zeke finally comes out of his self-pity (sort-of) and reunites with Allie emotionally

It's one of the most iconic scene in the book according to me. You can't deny it's not a powerful scene.

3. The parts when Allie try to bring Zeke to sanity

As much as it messes with my emotion and my head, I have to admit this is one of the most finely written scene. It literally makes me shiver.

***

OTP: Allie/Zeke! 

No comments:

Post a Comment