Saturday, May 31, 2014

Ignited: Review

Synopsis

Nobody hides forever.

Ever since Remy O'Malley discovered her dual identity as a Healer and a Protector, she's kept alive by staying one step ahead of both sides in this centuries-old war. Now someone's trying to draw her out of hiding, using her kidnapped father as bait.

To save him, Remy will need every friend she's got. But as new alliances form, old bonds fray. Her boyfriend Asher is losing his powers, becoming more mortal every time she touches him. Meanwhile, Remy finds herself growing closer to Asher's brother Gabe, even as a family tragedy drives her sister Lucy farther away.

On a rescue mission to London, Remy decides she's tired of being the hunted. It's time to end this war once and for all, as Protectors and Healers alike hurtle towards a final, violent confrontation that not everyone will survive.

***

Again, I'm very bipolar towards this book. Or I should say the characters of this book because I want to slap every single one of them (well, except maybe Gabe and Lottie) at least once for different reasons, and some more than others. But the book itself is a good conclusion of the trilogy.

The better part is the second half of the story. It's very intense in terms of action and suspense. We get to see a kick-ass master plan carry out. A lot of unexpected new characters emerges as well, which is a huge surprise, because the whole thing is related to Remy. They have something unusual about them, and it's so nice to learn about those guys. I kinda wish they appear sooner because I feel like they can make a greater story. There are also a lot of Remy with one of the Blackwell brothers in this book. Since it's one of the hugest spoilers to reveal the name, I'm just going to say this brother and Remy fit together perfectly and they're incredibly cute and sweet together. It's so awesome to see them together because it makes me grin whenever they have some cute moments together, even when the other brother (in a way) makes my heart ache too.

The other part where I want to slap most of the character is the first half of the story. Don't get me wrong, aside from a little awkwardness, the storyline is still crazy and nice. But the attitude of the characters is anything but nice. It makes my head hurt and it brings out the bitch in me, simply because some of the characters are acting like one (esp. two of the main characters). I guess I understand that grief can be a straight pathway leading to anger and hatred, but it doesn't make anything better. But then, we get to see some glimpses of Remy's strength (and some little snippets of bitchiness), which are both satisfying to read about. For various reasons (because I can't talk about it without revealing spoilers).

Despite some of the headache that some of the characters bring about, it's generally a crazy and intense conclusion of a story. And I think we might actually get a chance to read more about Remy's story, or a story set in the same world as this trilogy, because it's a kind-of loose-ended story, which makes me curious and excited. 

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment