Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Toxic Heart: Review

Synopsis:

A city in flames. A trust betrayed. A perfect love destroyed.

Has Aria lost Hunter, her one true love?

Ever since rebellion broke out in Mystic City, pitting the ruling elite against the magic-wielding mystics, Aria has barely seen her boyfriend. Not surprising, since Hunter is the leader of the mystic uprising, and he'll do whatever it takes to win freedom for his people—even if that means using Aria.

But Aria is no one's pawn. She believes she can bring the two warring sides together, save the city, and win back the Hunter she fell in love with.

Before she can play peacemaker, though, Aria will need to find the missing heart of a dead mystic. The heart gives untold powers to whoever possesses it, but finding it means seeking out a fierce enemy whose deepest desire is for Aria to be gone—forever.

***

I think it's going to be a brutal review.

What I like:
1) Aria is finally... well, badass enough to be called a heroine. You have no idea how much I'm annoyed by her status as the daughter of a crime lord and the daughter of a mystic destroyer in Mystic City. It's a very nice change. And the last scene with her in Toxic Heart is especially cool. I'm very curious to see how she will turn out in the third book
2) We get to see Turk! He's a very nice guy and I like him. We also see a new female character that is not very important. But she's super nice. In a book where I want to slap every single one of the character at least once, the two of them are the only exceptions (as in, I don't wanna slap them).

What I don't like:
1) World-building: I'm sorry to say it, but it's even weaker than in the first book. There are times where I just don't know where the hell Aria is in. It's very annoying to be confused, especially if that's about world-freaking-building
2) The plot is... well, it's not bad. A lot better than Mystic City. (Spoiler!) But I just don't understand why Aria is always held captive by her family and the Fosters. Is holding her captive all the time so exciting? Because I don't think so. (But other than that, the plot is actually okay)

What I hate:
1) Hunter Brooks. Class A douche. Fact solidified. Permanently. That guy pisses me off right from the second he shows up in the book. There's no way to explain how much I hate that guy. He lies to Aria. He uses her like a pawn. (Spoiler!) And he literally lock his girlfriend in the freaking basement. And he expects her to forgive her so soon? Good thing he barely shows up in the book, or there is no stopping me from destroying my e-reader.

Generally it turns out to be better than I expected. But there are still a lot of improvements needed to be made.

Rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment