Sunday, April 20, 2014

Frozen: Review

Synopsis:

The Heists were only the beginning.

Gray Weathersby escaped from the primitive town of Claysoot expecting to find answers, but what he discovered shook him to the core: A ruthless dictator with absolute power. An army of young soldiers blinded by lies. And a growing rebellion determined to fight back.

Now Gray has joined a team of rebels on a harsh, icy journey in search of allies who can help them set things right. But in a world built on lies, Gray must constantly question whether any ally—or enemy—is truly what they seem…

***

Taken is straightforward. Saving, joining the rebellion, finding answers, fighting. Frozen is more complicated than that. Suspense is high in the air. The group doesn't know whether their enemies are actually their enemies, or their allies really their allies. After they discovered the Forged soldiers Frank made in Taken, the group is taken aback by shock multiple times because of betrayal. As much as the whole thing irritates me because the rebellion group is damaged, I'm impressed by how well Erin Bowman hide all those Forged soldiers. But then again, Gray is quite a bighead when it comes to observing other people, and it's no wonder that he doesn't discover those people in a short time.

Speaking of Gray, we have to talk about the characters. The relationship between them is more messed-up then in Taken. It's so freaking annoying because I'm tired of them fighting each other out of reasons that I can't even begin to imagine. I don't hate fighting, personally. But the arguments in Frozen makes my head hurt and exhausted. Their personality is also a big problem. It is not significant in Taken but now it's as bright as a beacon. They're so cranky and stiff that I just can't help but groan. I hate to say it, because the plot is so much better, but the characters are a big letdown.

And actually, now I remember to mention one flaw in the plot. Despite those betrayals, the mission to find people in AmWest is actually very easy. Almost too easy. I'm not sure whether this is a set-up for later events in the third book, but it makes me agape, like how the heck can this be so easy? I wish this is not all of the story, because I'm sure I will not be impressed.

Generally, Frozen is a better story than Taken. But I guess character improvement is needed. Imminently. 

Rating: 6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment