Sunday, April 13, 2014

Rebel Belle: Review

Synopsis:

Harper Price, peerless Southern belle, was born ready for a Homecoming tiara. But after a strange run-in at the dance imbues her with incredible abilities, Harper's destiny takes a turn for the seriously weird. She becomes a Paladin, one of an ancient line of guardians with agility, super strength and lethal fighting instincts.

Just when life can't get any more disastrously crazy, Harper finds out who she's charged to protect: David Stark, school reporter, subject of a mysterious prophecy and possibly Harper's least favorite person. But things get complicated when Harper starts falling for him--and discovers that David's own fate could very well be to destroy Earth.

With snappy banter, cotillion dresses, non-stop action and a touch of magic, this new young adult series from bestseller Rachel Hawkins is going to make y'all beg for more.

***

Rebel Belle is basically about Oracle, Paladin, and Mage. There's Harper Price, with newfound superpowers after a weird event in at homecoming. And there's David, who is apparently not as normal as he should be. There's a psycho Mage out for them, and it can end up being disastrous.

This book is quite witty to my standard (and trust me, I know witty). It's not the snarky kind of witty. But the book is quite humorous in a slightly grim and awkward way (but a whole lot of fun). I can't help but laugh about a lot of things in the book, which is both weird and funny at the same time. Although there are a lot of times where I'm slightly annoyed with some characters' attitude or the turn of events, and there are times where I just can't resist rolling my eyes, the book is surprisingly entertaining. (I finish it in one sitting. That's quite a proof)

So there's Harper, the main protagonist. I actually have a love-hate feeling for her. On one hand she's very practical and not overly self-sacrificing (which can be weird in a modern world where everyone will think of themselves first before they think of others). She's quick-witted and very smart, which is beneficial for herself and my feelings. But on the other hand she's sometimes annoying and self-conscious to a point where I just want to cry, "come on!" to her. I do think she can be a really great character, though. I can't wait to see her in the sequel.

I'm not going to talk too much about this book because it's the first book of a series, after all. But if you want a quick and relaxing break, this is a book you should go for.

Rating: 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment