Sunday, December 29, 2013

Top Ten YA Novels 2013 #2: Sentinel by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Oh, I'm still having withdrawal from this book. It's the one of the best ending ever!

The second place belongs to:

Sentinel by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Synopsis:

It's a beautiful day for a war.

As the mortal world slowly slips into chaos of the godly kind, Alexandria Andros must overcome a stunning defeat that has left her shaken and in doubt of their ability to end this war once and for all.

And with all the obstacles between Alex and her happily-ever-after with the swoonworthy Aiden St. Delphi, they must now trust a deadly foe as they travel deep into the Underworld to release one of the most dangerous gods of all time.

In the stunning, action-packed climax to the bestselling Covenant series, Alex must face a terrible choice: the destruction of everything and everyone she holds dear… or the end of herself.

***

Date Read: November 3, 2013

My Review:


My Rating: 10/10

***

Top 5 Reasons Why I Like It:

1. Seth's sanity is back
Finally! You have no idea how much I want the real him be back! Even though he's always a punk, I still like him. I'm so happy to see him back on Team Good/Team Not So Insane

2. Titan
Yep, a mother-freaking Titan. And one hell of a badass Titan. Damn, I wish I can see more of them in Sentinel. But hey, we'll see them in Seth's spin-off series. So that kind of makes it up. Nice twist, Jennifer.

3. Aiden
Well, Covenant series won't be Covenant series with Aiden here, right? In Sentinel he finally opens up completely. And it's beautiful. I miss him so much along with Alex. They're one of the best couples ever. (I guess I don't even need to list how awesome Aiden is, right? That's understood XD)

4. The ending
Ah, the comfort and sadness of the closure. Since it's the ending, I won't spoil you on it (that is, unless you've read the book, then you wouldn't need any spoiling). But I couldn't drop my satisfied and happy grin on my face when I first read that part. I still can't drop the grin whenever I re-read the part. :) I'm so sad the series is over. It's one of the best I've read so far.

5. Apollo
Yes, the surprisingly annoying god. I kinda like that guy, even though sometimes he's just so annoying I have to roll my eyes. (Sorry, Apollo. But it's the truth. Please don't strike me with a god bolt) He's funny and a little smart-mouthed. He makes the series infinitely more interesting. 

***

Why I recommend this book/series:
A lot of people say that Half-Blood is kind of like a Greek-gods version of Vampire Academy. And I can't deny it. It's a little sad, to be honest. But even though Half-Blood is like a make-over of Vampire Academy, I still think the characters are completely likable. And throughout the Covenant series Jennifer develops her own story (at least, according to some fans who read both the sequels of Vampire Academy and Covenant series. I didn't finish VA). And if you are asking my opinion, the story is badass and awesome. The humor, the romance, the stakes... they're like a magnet for brilliance. It's a series that can't be missed. The series will just get better and better until it ends with a glorious bang.

P.S. About the VA part... well, please don't hit me. But after I finished the first book, I just couldn't get on with it. And that has nothing to do with any other series that even remotely resembles VA in any way. Guess I'm just not a fan of academies (except Mythos Academy, which is pretty nice, especially the students and the creatures are like a mix of all kinds of mythological legends)

***

Do I like the cover?

I have mixed feelings about the cover. If you are judging by the beauty of it, it's quite good but it's a little bit plain. But if you are judging by the meaning of the cover, it's brilliant. The silver tulip. And tulip means eternal love. You get the rest :)

***

Top 3 Favorite Scenes: (Beware Spoilers)

1. The ending
Duh, this is like one of the best endings ever. How can I not like it?

2. The Alex/Aiden scene after Alex is free of the creepy hold of the two sons of Ares.
I don't like crap standing in a relationship's way. So I like confessions. At least the truth is out and the road is clear.

3. Killing Ares
It's glorious. Literally. And surprisingly hilarious. That humor lasts... until a certain tragedy happens. But the killing part is still awesome.

***

OTP:

Duh. Alex and Aiden of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment