Sunday, November 3, 2013

Sentinel: Review

Synopsis:

It's a beautiful day for a war.

As the mortal world slowly slips into chaos of the godly kind, Alexandria Andros must overcome a stunning defeat that has left her shaken and in doubt of their ability to end this war once and for all.

And with all the obstacles between Alex and her happily-ever-after with the swoonworthy Aiden St. Delphi, they must now trust a deadly foe as they travel deep into the Underworld to release one of the most dangerous gods of all time.

In the stunning, action-packed climax to the bestselling Covenant series, Alex must face a terrible choice: the destruction of everything and everyone she holds dear… or the end of herself.

***

Okay, did I really just read Sentinel? I think I did.

And here I thought Apollyon was awesome by default. Hell, Sentinel puts Apollyon to SHAME. Sentinel has me hooked up right from the second I open the book, and it just gets better (or crazier) every page I turned. It doesn't reveal anything accidentally. I can totally see that every craziness is plotted carefully and beautifully. Trust me you will get your heart broken and mended and broken again in this book. 

I read this while I'm sitting in a bus full of people. I'm not sure how I make it without showing too much emotion or just freak out on people. I know I can't show too much expression on my face or I will totally be regarded as crazy. But damn, reading this book without freaking out is the hardest thing I've ever done these days. If it's not my awareness of the public, I'm pretty sure I can't clamp down the expletive words from my mouth. And somehow this makes every emotion I felt amplified. Surprise is the least unstable emotion out of what I felt, for gods sake. This book broke me wide open. It's crazy like that. I don't think even Allegiant broke me wide open in that way. 

Oh and here's Aiden and Seth. Aiden. Swoon-worthy, beautiful, protective, self-sacrificing Aiden. I like how he's not afraid of showing his emotions and love for Alex anymore (well, even in Apollyon Aiden hid a little of them from Alex and us). It's just so adorable that he's barely in control of what he felt. But after all, it's practically the end of the world. What's the point to hide what you feel when you're in danger of dying every second of every day? And here's Seth. Finally he makes an appearance. And not the aether-crazy version of appearance. I'm sure by the end of Sentinel, you will fall in love with Seth all over again (because I really, really do like him in Pure).

(Just a little spoiler. Avoid this if you don't even want to be remotely spoiled: I make the word self-sacrificing in the paragraph just above italic. As for what that means... well it's not as good as you think, but definitely not as bad as you think.)

But there are two catches. Hardly anything major. First, how can the book be so freaking... short! Okay, when you check Goodreads, it's actually longer than Apollyon. So in reality it's not that short. I don't know if that's because the whole 27-chapter thing being misleading or what, but it feels soooo short. I can't get enough of Covenant. Yet when you look back, the book is perfect and nothing more should be added. And second, Aiden is not making enough appearance! I know it's the whole apocalypse thing on a roll, but I actually miss Aiden. And with Sentinel being the last book of Covenant series... well I guess this missing thing is just going to get worse.

My favorite part? Of course it's the ending! To be honest, I was kind of expecting an ending like that, but never the details of it. The details of the ending is practically mind-blowing in its extreme. I almost have my mouth hanging open like no tomorrow... almost (you know, the whole not-showing-emotion-or-be-regarded-as-crazy thing). And then I want to cry in the beauty of it. It's just so finely plotted and everything I dreamed to happen (at some point, at least). This is a perfect ending for a series as awesome as Covenant series.

Looking back, it's hard to believe Alex has made so far and sacrifice so much in this book. In Daimon (or Half-Blood. They're more or less the same in terms of... Alex), Alex is a beautifully stubborn and hotheaded and reckless girl that acts on will and not on logic. Throughout the series Alex has transformed so much that I believe the Alex in Sentinel will hardly recognize the one in Half-Blood. She has become such a beautiful character throughout time. Still snarky, still stubborn, still fierce. But she is more mature than before. The course of events throughout the five books is the catalyst of all changes in Alex. 

I will miss the characters. Alex, Aiden, Seth, Caleb, and so on. Covenant is part of my life for quite some days. And although it's hard to let go all things awesome, I'd say it's a hail and farewell to the books. 

(Okay now I think of Ave Atque Vale with the whole hail and farewell thing XD)

Rating: Let me see... how about a 11 out of 10? Maybe not, since 11 is off-limits in the scale of 10. I will just stick with 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment