Sunday, March 31, 2013

The Collector: Review

Synopsis:

He makes good girls...bad.

Dante Walker is flippin’ awesome, and he knows it. His good looks, killer charm, and stellar confidence have made him one of hell’s best—a soul collector. His job is simple: weed through humanity and label those round rears with a big red good or bad stamp. Old Saint Nick gets the good guys, and he gets the fun ones. Bag-and-tag.

Sealing souls is nothing personal. Dante’s an equal-opportunity collector and doesn't want it any other way. But he’ll have to adjust, because Boss Man has given him a new assignment:

Collect Charlie Cooper’s soul within ten days.

Dante doesn't know why Boss Man wants Charlie, nor does he care. This assignment means only one thing to him, and that’s a permanent ticket out of hell. But after Dante meets the quirky Nerd Alert chick he’s come to collect, he realizes this assignment will test his abilities as a collector…and uncover emotions deeply buried.


***

The plot: 

The plot is quite good, actually. It's not exactly fast-paced, but it's not dragging, obviously. I know there are tons of fans out there who loves The Collector. And personally, I am... kind of one of them too. But I'm definitely not well into the plot part. I guess the plot line is just... too straight for me. Maybe I get used to really twisted plots, so my opinion might not be the best perspective. But there's few in the plot that can actually surprise the bejesus outta me. Sorry, not exactly a fan for the plot. Forgive me for being honest here.

The character:

The characters are... quite flipping awesome. Especially for our sexy, hot, bad boy narrative Dante Walker. He's those bad boy you can imagine: lure you into screwing around and do bad things. With the hot face and body of course. He's definitely one of the most swoon-worthy guy in the history of YA novels. But I think badder the better for him in this book because he's supposed to be a demon, attempting to collect an innocent girl's soul. He's a little bit soft. But that's fine for me. What's fun if we can't see the soft side of a demon?

Charlie is... almost the exact opposite of Dante. First of all, she's definitely not pretty. Yep, I expect that some guys out there who haven't read The Collector will assume that the girl will be super hot (well, at least in the guy's eyes). But no, she's not. And she's not a bad girl too. She's a really soft girl with a pure heart. That's a good thing for the plot, because it's always fun to watch a pure, innocent girl go dark. But... I'm sorry, I like badass girls more than soft girls, even though Charlie is a very good character.

The words:

The words... they remind me soooo much of JLA's words! Okay, I have to say there are obvious difference in words between the two authors. But the humor is so similar (and I always love JLA's books)! The author can surely use words very cleverly and brilliantly, because I can only find a few of the authors that can match her awesomeness. She can put humor in situations that are supposed to be... emergent. This is one of the main reasons why I love this book.

Generally:

The book is great, and I love most of the parts. But... I guess I don't really fit in with the guys who think this book is flipping awesome without a flaw. I will read The Liberator, of course. Because I can't wait to see if a bad boy meets a bad girl. Sounds fun (evil grin). I guess it's a little bit far from my level of awesomeness. Sorry.


Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment