Friday, March 8, 2013

Flashback Friday: Beautiful Chaos by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

Synopsis:

Ethan Wate thought he was getting used to the strange, impossible events happening in Gatlin, his small Southern town. But now that Ethan and Lena have returned home, strange and impossible have taken on new meanings. Swarms of locusts, record-breaking heat, and devastating storms ravage Gatlin as Ethan and Lena struggle to understand the impact of Lena's Claiming. Even Lena's family of powerful Supernaturals is affected - and their abilities begin to dangerously misfire. As time passes, one question becomes clear: What — or who — will need to be sacrificed to save Gatlin?

For Ethan, the chaos is a frightening but welcome distraction. He's being haunted in his dreams again, but this time it isn't by Lena - and whatever is haunting him is following him out of his dreams and into his everyday life. Even worse, Ethan is gradually losing pieces of himself — forgetting names, phone numbers, even memories. He doesn't know why, and most days he's too afraid to ask.

Sometimes there isn't just one answer or one choice. Sometimes there's no going back. And this time there won't be a happy ending.


***

Beautiful Chaos set right after the events of Beautiful Darkness, of how Lena claimed herself once more and became herself again. This book has a really happy beginning, with Ridley becoming Mortal (a surprisingly bitchy yet cute Mortal) again and Link dating Ridley. Ethan and Lena had made up and was having a good time together at school. Smiling is always the expression I wear whenever I read the first few chapters of the book.

If you read Beautiful Chaos, you know that something really weird happened to Ethan. And I have to tell you: Among the four books in the series, the weirdness level is the best in this book. Ethan was forgetting things. Important things. And he was changing his taste, behavior. Yep, even though Ethan is the Wayward, part of the supernatual world. But still he's Mortal. So Ethan, a Mortal boy, having weird and paranormal problems? Not what I expected when I first read it.

I always love how Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl started out the books. It didn't start right away. Instead it's some sort of emphasis about the book and Gatlin. In this book it's Sugar and Salt, and there's the-end-of-the-days talk. The sorta cliffhanger leaves me a wave of emotions, especially if you are re-reading the book.

Another thing I love about the series is those Shadow Songs. In Beautiful Creatures it's 16 Moons. In Beautiful Darkness it's 17 Moons. And in this book, it's 18 Moons. I don't know why there's no 19 Moons Shadow Song in Beautiful Redemption (I think I have a brief outline of the reason, but I'm not gonna tell you XD). Among the three songs, 18 Moons is the best. Yep, those songs give Ethan warnings about what will happen next in his life. But 18 Moons carries the prophecy of the most dangerous stuff in it. Maybe that's why I love this song more than 16 or 17 Moons. I love danger.

Heartbreak is a constant in Beautiful Chaos, because... well, the synopsis has already said that there won't be a happy ending in Beautiful Chaos. And yeah, seeing Lena broken-hearted is worse than seeing Ethan having that kind of problem. Ethan is an innocent boy (well, at least more innocent than the Casters). He deserves better. But I guess I'm slightly relieved that there's a fourth book or I will go nuts because of that ending.

I'm a little sad the series is already over in 2012. Well, this is not my favorite series. But it has a good setting and characters. I think I won't see anymore Kami Garcia/ Margaret Stohl works. So I'm looking for their series (all by themselves). Legion by Kami Garcia and Icons by Margaret Stohl.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment