Thursday, November 22, 2012

Flashback Friday: Angel by L.A.Weatherly

Another Flashback Friday. Guess I'm that boring.

So, ever heard of an author called L.A.Weatherly? She's not one of those famous authors. But her book is good. Like, really, really great.

You may not find this familiar, especially to American readers. Maybe you will recognize the one below. Although I think the UK version (yeah, the one above is the UK version that I have at home) is much prettier.

They are the very same book. Although the US version is called Angel Burn, and the UK version is simply just Angel.

Let's back to the chase. Here's the summary:

Angels are all around us: beautiful, awe-inspiring, irresistible.

Ordinary mortals yearn to catch a glimpse of one of these stunning beings and thousands flock to The Church of Angels to feel their healing touch.
But what if their potent magnetism isn't what it seems?
Willow knows she's different from other girls. And not just because she loves tinkering around with cars.
Willow has a gift. She can look into people's futures, know their dreams, their hopes and their regrets, just by touching them. But she has no idea where she gets this power from.

Until she meets Alex…
Alex is one of the few who know the truth about angels. He knows Willow's secret and is on a mission to stop her.
The dark forces within Willow make her dangerous – and irresistible.
In spite of himself, Alex finds he is falling in love with his sworn enemy.


***

 You know what? That book is just freaking underrated. Surely you've seen so many YA novels about angels like Fallen by Lauren Kate. But this one is so different. Because well, we always thought that angels are good guys because they have a heavenly heart, bright halo, beautiful faces and bodies, things like that. But now, in Angel, they are still beautiful. But they are also deadly. And most of them are certainly not one of the good guys. That makes it so interesting it stands out from other typical ones.

I think one of the few not-so-good things in this book is that it starts out really slow. I had no idea what was going on at first when I first read it (of course I do now). I know things shouldn't be cut to the chase that quickly, but the story stretches a little bit too long. 

Another not so good thing about it is that the book is mostly about Alex and Willow escaping from Church of Angels. I want something more interesting to happen. Like some more attacks. Some more threats, and the story will be excellent.

But the good things? They are irresistable. I know that's definitely not the best word to describe it. But the book is so innocent, despite the whole Willow-is-a-half-angel part. Their relationship is really relaxed AND relaxing. There are so many passion in other famous YA novels. The Infernal Devices is one of them. I appreciate the passion. I LOVE the passion. But I need some break from all the serious heartbreak, and this is one of the books that I will go to.

The last part of the book where Alex and Willow are in Denver are absolutely amazing. Pure perfection. It will not drive you crazy. But this part will definitely drive your emotions. It's so intense and loving. After the whole Willow-dying part, their reunion is definitely the best thing and the most relieving thing. I love how L.A.Weatherly write Angel. Or I should simply just say. I love Angel Trilogy.

And really, I have no idea why people don't notice it in bookstores. It should be one of the books on your bookshelf.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment