Friday, October 26, 2012

The Lost Prince: Review

I love The Iron Fey series. And now I've read the spin-off series setting in the world of The Iron Fey: The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten.

Summary:

Don’t look at Them. Never let Them know you can see Them.

That is Ethan Chase’s unbreakable rule. Until the fey he avoids at all costs—including his reputation—begin to disappear, and Ethan is attacked. Now he must change the rules to protect his family. To save a girl he never thought he’d dare to fall for.

Ethan thought he had protected himself from his older sister’s world—the land of Faery. His previous time in the Iron Realm left him with nothing but fear and disgust for the world Meghan Chase has made her home, a land of myth and talking cats, of magic and seductive enemies. But when destiny comes for Ethan, there is no escape from a danger long, long forgotten.

This novel is one of Julie’s books that will have you demanding for the second one as soon as you finish your read. - Up-To-Date Reviewing (less)


***

I can't even begin to describe how good the book is! This is the first book of the Call of the Forgotten series. And there are links between The Iron Knight, Iron's Prophecy and this. There are also echos of The Iron King. But comparing the two, this is much freaking better than The Iron King. Good job, Julie!

Ethan Chase is not a sweet little boy anymore like he was in The Iron Fey series. I can completely understand the feeling of losing a sister that was close to you once. I can also understand the fear and the anger to the Fey that is always bothering him and screws up his life. But you know what? I read the first chapter of The Lost Prince ages ago, and I knew that long before I really started reading the book. But I still love him. Ash is a lost boy. But so is Ethan. And not just because he is human, but he also has the personality of Ash, with the tough and icy appearance and a tortured heart underneath.

To me Kenzie holds some sort of echo of the naive Meghan Chase: reckless and very trusting. I really like her, although she seems even more naive than the very first image of Meghan. What I like her most is that she carries a spirit of YOLO. She is dying, and she is dying to see the world like never before. I wish I can do the same thing. I envy her (of course in a good way).
  
As for Keirran... well, my feelings are complicated. He seems so nice, and that's definitely because he's under the education of Meghan and Ash. He is not some typical fey, always holding up bargains, contracts, favors. I really wanna try to like him, and in some ways I do. But the threat in the Iron's Prophecy still haunts me. Remember what Keirran says that someday Ethan and him have to choose sides. Now I really fear about two things. One, the title of the second book of this series (The Traitor Son). Does that mean Keirran will stand on the Forgotten Queen's side? Two is the terrifying prophecy. Does that mean Keirran and Ethan will eventually become enemies even though they didn't want to? Does that mean that Keirran will destroy everything Meghan's protecting so hard by standing beside the Forgotten Queen? Oh crap. I really doubt he is a bad guy after all. But still, he haunts me.

One thing that is different about the characters is that both the main male and female characters are human. Not normal (especially not for Ethan), but still, human. Another thing is that the story is talked by Ethan, not by a female character. That can also only be seen in another series, and that is the infamous Caster Chronicles series by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. 

I really miss Ash and Puck and Meghan. I miss The Iron Fey series. But things are different now. The threats are even higher than the onnes in The Iron Fey series. Sad thing is, Puck and Ash only appears twice, and Meghan only once. But I understand. The main point in The Lost Prince is Ethan. I guess I will have to learn to move on. 

The really funny thing is, even though deep down I know that Ethan is the Iron Prince (besides Keirran), Keirran has Summer, Winter, Iron glamor inside him as much as the human part, and the ghostly fey that is bothering him at the start of the book is the Forgotten, I can still be shocked by the words. Good to know that I will never get tired to read Call of the Forgotten series. When Glitch calls Ethan prince, I actually burst out laughing. Not just because of his expression when he is called prince, but also the fact that he IS a HUMAN prince, brother of an immortal fey.

The meeting in the Iron Court is one of the most heartbreaking scene in the book. I know Ethan's despair. I understand his anger towards his sister, about not visiting him throughout the years. But even though I feel bad for Ethan, I also feel bad for Meghan too. What she can't tell him is that he might be killed by her own son sometime in the future. Prophecies can't be told by the ones who are involved in it. It's definitely the same reason why Keirran is not allowed to see Meghan's brother. I understand Meghan's desperation. But I also understand Ethan and Keirran's confusion.

And the Forgotten Queen? Well, I'm kind of annoyed by the whole new queen even though I understand they have to survive by draining regular fey's glamor. The most annoying part is NOT that she is just making excuse for her inhumane (or should I say cruel considering they are NOT human?) actions towards innocent fey and half-fey. Twelve years ago there's the Iron Fey. And that's messed-up enough. And now, twelve years later, there's a queen of the Forgotten planning to destroy the regular fey. Oh, that's just freaking great. There are four (actually five if you count the Exile Queen) rulers now. Meghan becomes the Iron Queen in The Iron Queen (that sounds really absurd). What's next, huh? Keirran will be the king of the Forgotten? Or Ethan will be the king? There are four FREAKING realms now. Awesome.

Now I can't wait to see what will happen in The Traitor Son. Will Keirran turn against Ethan? Will the Forgotten attack the regular fey and the Iron Fey? Will Ash reveal what he had seen in his journal to the End of the World, including the part that he encounters the Forgotten ones? September 2013 is a long way to wait. Ugh.

Rating: 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment