Sunday, September 2, 2012

The Iron King: Review

Another new start of a new series. And I'm sure many YA fans are familiar with that series, cuz it has been out for quite a time. It's The Iron Fey series. And I just finished the first book of the series.

Check out the summary:

Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined.

Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home.

When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.

But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.


***

Well, I can't say this is one of the best books I've ever read. But it's really safe to say this one is good. The adventure never cease to amaze me. The plot is good despite the fact that there are so many YA novels about faerie/faery. And the book is beautifully written and shows the problem Meghan encountered in a really fine way.

Of course, the best part of the book is always the adventurous part. Virus's appearance is the most surprising thing. Never once thought that Meghan, Ash and Puck will encounter such a horrible thing right in the human/mortal world. Who could have thought about it? There are so many heart-wrenching parts when Meghan and Ash started to enter the abandoned factory. First is defeating the Iron Dragon, second is to kill Machina. The palm-twitching parts are a bit too melodramatic, but I have to admit that they are definitely well written.

Meghan kind of reminds me of Pagan from the Existence trilogy. She is willing to sacrifice herself in order to save the ones she love. She is tough and stubborn. Although many YA heronies are tough and stubborn, I like her the way like never before. She is not like Clary and Tessa or other famous YA heronies because she is really straight-forward. That's the part I like most. That makes her special. The author did a great job of making the girl lovely.

Perhaps the familiarity of other famous YA novels makes me think that Ash lacks emotions. I don't know if other YA hot boys are too emotional or Ash is too emotionless or anything else. I just think that his feelings for Meghan is not that deep. At least not as deep as I thought it would be. Part of it is a good thing because it is a new kind of fresh air and the book will not drive me crazy as much as other books do. But if you want some extreme emotion leak, The Iron King is definitely not the first book you will place your hands on.

Another minor not-so-good part is that the book hangs too long in the getting-into-Nevernever part. The adventurous part to The Iron Realm is awesome. But the encounter of Oberon and Titania and the whole Nevernever buisness is...well, not so exciting. If the part in Nevernever can run shorter and the author can focus more energy on the adventurous part to make big plot twists, I think the book will be much better.

I am reading The Iron Daughter now, and I hope that the second book of the series will never cease to amaze me.

Rating: 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment