Monday, September 3, 2012

The Iron Daughter: Review

The first day of school is also the day I've finished reading The Iron Daughter, the second installment of the bestselling The Iron Fey series.

Check out the summary below:
Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron fey—ironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her.
Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's stuck in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.

***

The book is generally great, except the middle part of it. I will tell the reasons later. But this book is definitely better than the first one. They didn't hang on the unimportant situation for a long time. Instead, they try to act even though they are not supposed to. Struggling to take action is way better than boredom. And the author can make a point of the actions they took. The emotions are deeper than the first book and I can finally actually feel them swirling inside me.

I have to admit that at first I was really mad at Ash even though I know that his intention was to keep Meghan safe from Mab and his brothers. He was acting like a... prick, to be honest. Even worse, he was acting like a total jerkface. Why acting like a jerk is worse than acting like a prick? Because all his actions were futile to the Winter Queen and Rowan and mostly, Meghan herself. His actions can't even protect Meghan from his family. And he hurt her so much (Ugh). But seeing him finally admit that he has feelings for her confirms that he just wanted to protect her. It eased my anger. A lot.

The huge plot twist of Ash being captured by Virus and was controlled is definitely unexpected. I know Virus and her army was strong. And Ash being captured was not that surprising. But seriously, he was controlled by a freaking iron bug (or Virus, whatever) who was inside his brain is a shock. And the parts of him trying to disobey Virus's commands on him are heart-wrenching. Wish that he would never be controlled and slowly dying, again.

Meghan, as always, was a stubborn, headstrong and brave girl. Somehow I just don't understand why all the girls in YA novels are so stubborn. But maybe a stubborn girl is one of the most important ingredients in YA novels, otherwise there won't be plots. But at least the plot in The Iron Daughter is quite good. Meghan could actually defeat Virus by herself (well, not quite herself entirely. But still, ALMOST herself). If she couldn't defeat Virus herself, I will like girl, can you not be so stubborn all the time? It's completely annoying. She is a very straight-forward and honest girl, like I said in The Iron King's review. At least she is honest to her heart. If in her mind is like no, no, no. I love Puck. I can't love Ash when her heart is all about Ash, I will be extremely annoyed. Meghan is a rare girl, I have to say.

Complicated emotions filled me when it came to the part that Mab banished Ash out of Nevernever. One part of me thinks that finally you admit your feelings for Meghan. But another part of me thinks that it is better to deny his feelings because he would be safe and he wouldn't be homeless. I appreciated Meghan for chasing Ash and going to the mortal realm with him. I will hate her forever if she didn't make her move. And when it came to the part that they were discussing what they were going to do, I find it kind of hilarious despite the fact that there are no humor in the words. Maybe it's because I imagine Ash walking down the high school halls and having lessons with normal kids and go to prom with Meghan. That would be hilarious. Except that I know that's not gonna happen because I'm already reading The Iron Queen.

There's not much to criticize about the book. It's well written and the emotions are intense in a pleasant way. I hope that the third installment of The Iron Fey series will be even better than that.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment