Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The Iron Queen: Review

Probably the best of The Iron Fey series that is written from Meghan's point of view! Check out the summary below:

My name is Meghan Chase.I thought it was over. That my time with the fey, the impossible choices I had to make, the sacrifices of those I loved, was behind me. But a storm is approaching, an army of Iron fey that will drag me back, kicking and screaming. Drag me away from the banished prince who's sworn to stand by my side. Drag me into the core of conflict so powerful, I'm not sure anyone can survive it.
This time, there will be no turning back.

***

The epilogue is always the best, but this can be discussed later on. The book is very different from the first two books. The book features Meghan and Ash being exiled by King Oberon and Queen Mab respectively. And I once thought that there would be quite a time before the whole thing reached the main point. Turns out I am dead wrong. The book starts with a threat from an Iron Fey who has loyalty towards the false king. And there are endless dangers and threats from the Iron Fey. I must say, this is one of the most breathtaking book ever. You will never know what will happen for sure until things are finally revealed.

Ash changes a lot in The Iron Queen. He becomes the sweet one and the... emotional one. I know that he cares for Meghan a lot. He doesn't want her hurt or even worse, dead. I can completely understand that, and appreciate it. But being overprotective isn't something I can handle very happily. Somehow I want him to give Meghan more space to do what she must to. Jealousy is another thing I loathe for a long time, ever since I start reading Crescendo, the second book of the Hush, Hush series. Lucky that he is not being so freaking jealous that he marches in front of Puck and give him a punch in the face. Or I will be so angry that I might even change my view about him.


Meghan is being way more stubborn than the start of the Iron Fey series that it goes to a point that I think it's way too much for Ash. I know that she just wants to protect the ones she love and try to be practical about what will happen next. But she can at least try to listen to Ash and not break his delicate heart (yeah, I mean it, he DOES have a delicate heart that is hidden behind his icy face). But still I appreciate Meghan for being honest to her heart and Ash. To me knowing the truth is way better than no, I can't tell you because I don't want to break your heart. And she is being stronger and stronger throughout the series. She is a true hero now, strong and caring and self-sacrificing. She is definitely one of my favorite female character in the YA world.

Puck, on the other hand, definitely needs to be punched in the face right from the start of the book. He wants to protect Meghan from his father being in Lea's mansion. I understand his intention. But that's not the way to protect her. No wonder Meghan gives him a slap in his face when she discovers the truth. A very good way to break her heart, Robin Goodfellow, lying to your beloved girl. And I kind of hate his sneer after the event of the truth. Fortunately he can prove himself back as a good and fun guy or I might hate him forever.

The ending of The Iron Queen is the best and the most heartbreaking one among The Iron Fey series. I know that she will become the Iron Queen at last because I've already read the summary of The Iron Knight. But for once I actually forgot the summary when I read the part that she is gonna die. It's like I can actually feel the sorrow from Ash and Puck and even Meghan herself. Of course, I remember the summary when she relives and becomes the Iron Queen. But just thinking about Ash can never join her in the Iron Realm actually makes me feel bad, once again.

The only not-so-good part is that the book takes too long for Meghan and Ash and Puck to get to the Iron King. I understand the author just wants to make more plot twists and dangers for the characters to make their journey more interesting. Not that she failed her job, it's just that for a short time I can't really understand what's going on with the characters and the whole situation. If the journey can be a little bit shorter and things can get more exciting and dangerous, I am sure the mission will be better.

I am reading The Iron Knight now and I am so very happy that I decided to read The Iron Fey series at the first place.

Rating: 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment