Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Half-Blood: Review

I've finished reading Half-Blood and it's great! Check out the summary:

The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi-pure-bloods-have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals-well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures. Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden. Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck.

***
Man, this book definitely sends tons of shockwaves to me. Jennifer never ceases to amaze me at any point. One of the most amazing book ever. I bet Pure will be more shocking. 

The most frustrating part is that the Covenant's rules are HARSH (makes me think of The Law is harsh, but it's the Law)I know that Alex is definitely something different from the halfs (I can sense it right from the scene that the daimon said to her when he tried to drain her --what are you?) But in my opinion I don't think that's the reason why she can't have her training lessons again. I feel bad for Alex. But while this is the most frustrating part in the book, it's a good setting. Otherwise the book will be way less exciting.

Reading the part that Alex's mom is not dead is one of the biggest shock in the book. Because I think she is really alive as a pure than a daimon. Turns out she is a daimon, walking around Deity Island and killing people. This disappoints me, because in my pov, daimon equals dead.

Another shocking part is that Kain is a half-blood daimon when he's brought back. I like Kain right from the first chapter of the book. I can't see why he has to suffer all these thing. And worse, half-blood daimons are often trained and immune to titanium. This is bad news. Real bad news.

The kissing scene is, as always, fierce and sweet at the same time. Guess I can just say every LONG kissing scene is sweet and fierce. But I really wanna just shoot Leon in the face when he knocks the door. Come on, give them a minute, okay? I always hate interruption.

And the fighting scene between Alex and the daimons (including her freaking mom) is just plain awesome. Alex is a real smart girl. And she is quite brave. Facing many daimons at the same time definitely not the best moment in her lifetime. Jennifer can definitely write the best fighting and battling scene. I hope that the Covenant series will be made into movie.

The appearance of Seth actually annoys me. Because he acts like a total jerk-face and perv. I don't know what happened in Pure, because some guys really love Seth. But right now I really want him to leave Alex alone. Putting aside fate and the annoying stuff, Alex and Aiden are so meant to be. Again the rules are so harsh that pures and halfs can never mix together. Ugh. Screw the Council and the Covenant. I know that Seth plays a big part in this, because he is Apollyon. But I really hope that he will stop screwing around and let Alex be.

Of all the characters I love Caleb most. Why not Aiden? Because somehow I want to punch him in the face when the book started. And I love Caleb right from the second he appears in the book. He is fun. He is caring. He is the best friend everyone wants to have. But don't get me wrong, I also love Aiden. It's just Caleb is really, freaking, nice.

Somehow I can say that the extras are the most perspective part that we actually knows what happens in a boy and a girl's relationship. And the extra from chapter 16 from Aiden's PoV is the best extra of the best. I know that he cares for her right from his first sight. But reading his PoV is the fiercest part of the book. And I actually hated Leon for interrupting them. God, things are so NOT working out in their place.

The Christmas Special is the sweetest extra EVER. I think I would instantly melt if someone did this for me. It's like heaven on Earth. Jennifer is one of the best writers, ever. I really love the Christmas Special, and I hope that there will be more extra scene once Deity hits the bookstores.

Rating: 9.5/10

*******

Oh and one more thing for TMI fans. You should see the pages right below to check out the photos of the TMI cast! They are really rolling now. Lily as Clary, Jamie as Jace, Jemima as Izzy, and Kevin as Alec. See the photos and reports from the links below. =]

1. http://tmisource.com/2012/08/20/shadowstalking-day-1-allies-report-from-the-set-of-city-of-bones/ 
2. http://tmisource.com/2012/08/20/tmi-set-day-1-set-report-from-inside-clarys-house/ 
3. http://tmisource.com/2012/08/20/tmi-set-day-1-humility-coronels-report-from-the-city-of-bones-set/
4. http://tmisource.com/2012/08/20/first-look-jace-clary-isabelle-and-alec-on-city-of-bones-set/
5. http://tmisource.com/2012/08/20/first-look-lily-collins-as-clary-on-city-of-bones-set/


No comments:

Post a Comment