Thursday, December 25, 2014

Top Ten YA Novels 2014 #7: The Queen of Zombie Hearts by Gena Showalter

Sorry I was late! I was busy yesterday so I couldn't really post anything. Anyway, this book is still awesome no matter what. It's about zombies, minus the apocalypse.

The seventh place belongs to:

The Queen of Zombie Hearts by Gena Showalter

Synopsis:

I have a plan.

We'll either destroy them for good, or they'll destroy us.

Either way, only one of us is walking away.

In the stunning conclusion to the wildly popular White Rabbit Chronicles, Alice "Ali" Bell thinks the worst is behind her. She's ready to take the next step with boyfriend Cole Holland, the leader of the zombie slayers…until Anima Industries, the agency controlling the zombies, launches a sneak attack, killing four of her friends. It's then she realizes that humans can be more dangerous than monsters…and the worst has only begun.

As the surviving slayers prepare for war, Ali discovers she, too, can control the zombies…and she isn't the girl she thought she was. She's connected to the woman responsible for killing—and turning—Cole's mother. How can their relationship endure? As secrets come to light, and more slayers are taken or killed, Ali will fight harder than ever to bring down Anima—even sacrificing her own life for those she loves.

***

Date Read: October 1, 2014

My Review:


My rating: 9/10

***

Top 3 reasons why I like it:

1. It's about zombies, duh. Minus the apocalypse

Zombies are no news to the YA world, especially when it's a zombie apocalypse. When you read a bunch of those zombie apocalypse novels for a prolonged period, things get boring after a while. Here comes Alice in Zombieland, set in a modern world where zombies are roaming around without anyone seeing them (at least, "anyone" that is not a slayer). An absence of zombie apocalypse. I always like reading about zombies. But minus the apocalypse? That's beyond the formula. This was what caught my attention in the first place. I'm glad that I read this trilogy, because the setting is unlike anything I've ever read before.

2. The intensity between Ali and Cole

What can I say? I'm a girl. It's one of those novels where the relationships can get so tense that it feels like you can't really breathe around it. That is exactly the case when I read Through The Zombie Glass. I had to put the book down several times to get over a lot of intense moments. The Queen of Zombie Hearts is slightly less strained, but still potent nonetheless. Things are actually getting deep in the final installment between Ali and Cole because they argue heatedly over something more fundamental, something that can potentially violate Cole's beliefs, instead of trying to clear the misunderstandings between them (which is the case in TTZG). Not to mention that the love between Ali and Cole is extraordinary. A powerful love that, for some reason, very realistic considering this world is too flawed for such love to even exist. I enjoy every single minute of their relationship and I'm sad to let them go, now that the trilogy is over.

3. Ali's sense of humor

Okay, seriously. It's the final hours of the struggle between the slayers and Anima. The slayers will have a pay an unfathomable price to win this war. It's the very definition of nerve-wrecking. However, Ali, being the center of the storm, can still joke and be sarcastic. There's no way I can't respect her. Ali is truly a strong girl and can do well in any emergency situation. I don't consider myself as a girl who laughs a lot, but Ali can get me in the worse situation possible. I salute you, Ali Bell.

***

Why I recommend this book or series:

One sentence: Zombies without the apocalypse.

(Seriously, if you are sick of dystopian novels where there are a bunch of sick mindless bastards running around trying to eat some human flesh out of the survivors, how about putting them in a civilized world?)

***

Do I like the cover?

Not really. It's a tad bit creepy.

***

Top 3 favorite scenes: (Spoiler Alert!)

1. Chapter 2, when Gavin and Ali trash-talk each other

It's probably one of the funniest scene in the book. The ridiculousness that comes out of their mouths got me every single time.

(Okay, I'm serious. the second and the third scene are super spoilery. Please avoid them if you haven't read TQoZH!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED)

2. The part where Ali finally regains her memories

Although it's rushed, it's definitely one of the sweetest scenes. I can't read it without smiling. (And I might have cried a little the very first time I read it).

3. The battle before Ali gave herself up to Anima

It's heartbreaking, especially when one of my favorite characters dies. But the description is so fine and detailed that you can't help but admire Gena's writing skills.

***

OTP: Ali/Cole all the way! Come on.


No comments:

Post a Comment