Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Top Ten YA Novels 2014 #2: Opposition by Jennifer L. Armentrout

I would be extremely surprised when a book tops City of Heavenly Fire, let alone two. But oh man, I can't count the times I've re-read this book. It never gets old to re-read the book.

The second place belongs to:

Opposition by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Synopsis:

Katy knows the world changed the night the Luxen came.

She can't believe Daemon welcomed his race or stood by as his kind threatened to obliterate every last human and hybrid on Earth. But the lines between good and bad have blurred, and love has become an emotion that could destroy her—could destroy them all.

Daemon will do anything to save those he loves, even if it means betrayal.

They must team with an unlikely enemy if there is any chance of surviving the invasion. But when it quickly becomes impossible to tell friend from foe, and the world is crumbling around them, they may lose everything— even what they cherish most—to ensure the survival of their friends…and mankind.

War has come to Earth. And no matter the outcome, the future will never be the same for those left standing.

***

Date read: August 5, 2014

My review: 

http://smoking-hot-books.blogspot.com/2014/08/opposition-review.html

My rating: 10/10

***

Top 3 reasons why I like it:

1) It's so different from Obsidian.

Well, if it was no different from Obsidian, that would not be exactly cool. But I thought about the time when I read Obsidian. I despise the Arum. Even after reading Obsession I still have some tiny little faith in me that Luxen is good. Opposition completely changes that. Of course, not all of them are bad. But nothing is certain anymore. There's the human side and the Arum side and the Luxen side and neither sides are exactly good. I guess I should say I like the uncertainty and the grays in the book. After all, a villain is a hero in his or her own story. You can't exactly judge them fairly.

2) Daemon/Kat

After a true test of their relationship, it has solidified even further and has become more intense and fiery. They might just have to be the best couple in my YA history. They are so perfect. They will practically sacrifice anything to be with each other (well, except for sacrificing each other, of course). Kat and Daemon are really the cutest together. And super bad-ass. You can't say they don't glow with triumph when the fight. I also like Daemon's overprotectiveness. I guess I like it because it's kind of expected, so it doesn't annoy me. Anyway, it's fierce and cute and very powerful. It's impossible not to love them while reading the books.

3) It just blew my mind

A lot of stuff happened in Opposition. Oh, that's the worse understatement ever. There's no way JLA can string up so many crazy things together in one single book (that is not exactly long, by the way) and still manage to stay awesome and natural. How can you go from bad to FML territory to things-aren't-actually-that-screwed in merely 200 pages or so? This is just unbelievable. This book deserves an award for simply being fantastic.

***

Why I recommend this book or series:

I am not exactly familiar with aliens, that's why Obsidian sounds awesome in the first place. But there are so much more good stuff in the series than just glowing aliens. It has the best narrators ever. Kat is simply amazing by being strong and witty and logical. You don't even need to describe Daemon's hotness (and his smart mouth). This series wins by default. I mentioned just how crazy Opposition is. Well, the previous four books might be slightly less mind-blowing, but still really great. I enjoy every second of reading the series. I miss it.

***

Do I like the cover?

Not as much as I do with the original covers of Obsidian, Onyx, Opal, and Origin. It still looks good, but I wish they'd keep to the original covers.

***

Top 3 favorite scenes:

1) The meeting with Lotho

It's a full demonstration of just how protective Daemon is and how strong Kat is. There are also a lot of exciting moments and plot twists

2) When Daemon finally confirms his, um, sanity to Kat (I think it's in chapter 6)

Even though I know Daemon's pretending, I was seconds away from kicking his balls and setting Kat up for someone else when I read those scenes from Kat's point of view. It's a huge relief when Kat finally learns about Daemon's sanity. It's also a smoking hot scene, so I'm all over it.

3) Kat and Daemon's conversation at the Seneca Rocks

At last, the wheel comes full circle. 

I like the rememberance. I also like how the legend fits to this story perfectly and seamlessly. The whole story is masterfully written.

***

OTP: Duh, Kat/Daemon of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment