Monday, December 8, 2014

Red Queen (ARC): Review

Synopsis:

The poverty stricken Reds are commoners, living under the rule of the Silvers, elite warriors with god-like powers.

To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from The Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change.

Mare finds herself working in the Silver Palace, at the centre of
those she hates the most. She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control.

But power is a dangerous game. And in this world divided by blood, who will win?

***

Red Queen is basically about power struggle and deception and betrayal and unfortunately, a fight of jealousy wrapped in layers of violence. I absolutely love this book, despite some minor reservations like the whole The Selection remake with bonus bitch session, which actually doesn't last very long (and what a relief that is). I guess I'm an innocent girl, because it really reminds me of the first time I read The Winner's Curse, which blew my mind completely. I've seen some reviews calling it a sort-of replica of some other books, but I haven't read them so I don't really care. It's still awesome. The only thing that actually bothers me is the whole love triangle (actually more like a love box before, um, some really terrible things happen). It gets on my nerves occasionally. 

It's another timeless series in which Mare, our quick-witted and innocent protagonist (and a Red), gets into the castle and discover her own unique powers by chance, and is caught up in this dangerous game that the Silvers are deep into. To be honest the story starts out a little too slow. Okay a lot too slow because I was basically twitching my fingers for the great display of power. Seriously, it takes 5 chapters (out of 29!) to get to the point? But then the rest of the story makes up for it twice. It is actually scary how things can change so much in a split second for Mare. And just how dark and twisted and deadly the struggle is. Literally nothing is certain in the book, as our own protagonist is a trickster with pranks up her sleeve. 

I immediately attach to Mare's character in the first chapter. She's a smart-mouth. A very witty one to be exact. Even in grim times she still manages to make me laugh, when nothing is laughable. I like her standing up to the Silvers, even though I would also consider it exceptionally reckless. Seriously, it's satisfying to see her out-smart those Silvers who think themselves superior in physical strength and mind. But her innocence shocked me, and not in a good way. How can she be so sure about people when she's been around them for like, less than a week? I actually feel kind of sad for her to have so much prejudice that she can't even think logically. I think roughen her up a bit will be good for her, and I believe she will have so much potential in the next book. She's still likable though, and I haven't been enjoying reading about a female protagonist in a long time.

Another reason I love this book is that it reminds me a lot of the place that I live in. I'm not exceptionally poor. In fact I'm not even considered poor in the place I live in. But Silvers lying through their teeth to keep their position of power and to deceive people into thinking the rebellion is all about terrorism and upsetting the so-called balance and peace? There's an uncanny resemblance between the place I live in and the world in the book. I can, in a way, empathize how Mare feels. I guess that's one of the main reasons why I'm attached to this book.

Anyway... I really enjoy this book, and I haven't allowed myself to read for two days straight without doing any revision for the goddamn public exam for god knows how long (probably since the day I got into high school). It's a good book and I want the sequel right now.

Rating: 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment