Thursday, November 13, 2014

The Retribution of Mara Dyer (FINALLY!): Review

Synopsis:

Mara Dyer wants to believe there's more to the lies she’s been told.
There is.

She doesn’t stop to think about where her quest for the truth might lead.
She should.

She never had to imagine how far she would go for vengeance.
She will now.

Loyalties are betrayed, guilt and innocence tangle, and fate and chance collide in this shocking conclusion to Mara Dyer’s story.
Retribution has arrived.

***

God, I've been waiting for this! FINALLY IT'S HERE! And it's released on my birthday :) Sadly I don't remember much from The Evolution of Mara Dyer, at least not the details. But I retained enough to remember it's still awesome enough for me to read the finale. And I'm so, SO glad I did. It's mysterious in its own way, even though I admit that I don't understand some of the small parts. 

Mara Dyer is officially classified as "not-normal". And with a certain someone apparently, um, missing, Mara is convinced that certain someone is still out there somewhere waiting for her. Accompanied by Jamie and Stella, she sets out to find that one. But the truth is the one she's never prepared for or even want to prepare for. 

Mara is actually a little crazy and, if I might say, a tad bit psychotic in her own right. It's not a shock that this book will be unpredictable with her being the main narrator. It's an absolute shock though, that this book is somehow more emotionally unstable yet more sinister than its previous counterparts. Partly because this book comes with an alternating time, which is about Mara's... past. While I couldn't understand some of the parts, I got enough to think that this story is really... masterfully screwed up. I meant it as a compliment, because The Retribution of Mara Dyer has made me gasp and emotionally unstable for quite a long time, and I'm usually considered as calm, if not overly critical at those things.

I love that this book comes in alternate point of views. It starts with Mara's point of view only. But a certain someone come along, and everything gets more interesting. (I guess by now you know who this certain someone is, even though I haven't given out any spoilers yet. But for the sake of not including huge spoilers, I'm still going to use the term "this certain someone") This certain someone is always a mystery to me, seeing through Mara's eyes, especially in The Evolution of Mara Dyer, which brings quite a lot of heartache and rage the other times (I remember that quite clearly). But now with this certain someone's point of view, I realize this one is fragile in this one's own right. Everything gets more intense with the alternating point of view, and a lot of uncertainties are solved in this finale. I love it, it's fiery and passionate and earth-shattering, for the better or the worse.

This is a neat and perfect ending, but I kinda want more. Okay I do want more, even though it's highly unlikely that an aftermath will be written.

Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment