Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Raging Star: Review

Synopsis:

Saba is ready to seize her destiny and defeat DeMalo and the Tonton...until she meets him and he confounds all her expectations with his seductive vision of a healed earth, a New Eden. DeMalo wants Saba to join him, in life and work, to create and build a healthy, stable, sustainable world…for the chosen few. The few who can pay.

Jack’s choice is clear: to fight DeMalo and try to stop New Eden. Still uncertain, her connection with DeMalo a secret, Saba commits herself to the fight. Joined by her brother, Lugh, anxious for the land in New Eden, Saba leads an inexperienced guerilla band against the powerfully charismatic DeMalo, in command of his settlers and the Tonton militia. What chance do they have? Saba must act. And be willing to pay the price.

***

No, I'm totally not impressed by Raging Star. Sorry Dust Land fans.

Like, seriously, there's just no way I can like this book. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate this book. And I don't think it's a bad book. I'm just not impressed. Especially with the characters. I mean, I just don't understand the whole bitter thing with Lugh. What the hell is wrong with him? Is he that possessive that he just can't understand one day Saba will be on her own? Speaking of Saba, I have to talk a little about her. She's pretty insecure in the book, and so very helpless. Yes, it's a grim situation, but at least act like you will find a way to end this one way or another. Don't just go all "oh my god what can I do now". And then there's Jack... who I like in Blood Red Road, but don't anymore. I don't even want to explain this.

And then there's this thing about the plot - I just don't understand why the slow pace at first and the rush at the end. The fight scenes are cool, sure. And there's a betrayal (tease!). But seriously, the first half of the book bores me to tears. And the supposedly cool part is just not enough. I don't understand. There's also this thing about the language -- the accent in the book. I used to like it because I thought it was really cool. But now it's becoming annoying, especially with my distaste towards the characters.

I don't know what else to say about this book. But for me, the ending is not as satisfying as I originally thought.

Rating: 5.5/10


No comments:

Post a Comment