Sunday, March 16, 2014

Ruins: Review

Synopsis:

Kira, Samm, and Marcus fight to prevent a final war between Partials and humans in the gripping final installment in the Partials Sequence, a series that combines the thrilling action of The Hunger Games with the provocative themes of Blade Runner and The Stand.

There is no avoiding it—the war to decide the fate of both humans and Partials is at hand. Both sides hold in their possession a weapon that could destroy the other, and Kira Walker has precious little time to prevent that from happening. She has one chance to save both species and the world with them, but it will only come at great personal cost.

***

Oh yeah. This book. It takes sci-fi and dystopian and life to a whole new level. Ruins mean so much more than just a book categorized as a YA novel. It evolves so much and is just better than its prequels. I might have to say someone needs to read this series just so he or she can read Ruins and see for himself or herself how awesome this book truly is. 

The first one-third of the story is so purely sci-fi. And of course I'm hooked. Come on, who knows how brilliant the connection between Partials and humans can be when it's actually revealed? Sad that I can't talk about it right now because that'll be spoiler. But seriously that part is freaking awesome and I find my jaw hanging like no tomorrow.

The second one-third of the story is more dystopian and dangerous. It's still pretty fantastic because there is a lot of actions involving Kira and an unexpected ally. But for some reason the rest of it is uneventful and I'm slightly bored by by it. Not that those parts are not good. But relatively... it's just not my cup of tea. But that's not the important thing.

The last one-third of the book is the best of all. Because it's the spirit of the novel. The meaning of life. Even life at the end of the world. I'm going to spoil you just a little bit. There is a character death which I hurt over because I really like that character. But the sacrifice is glorious. It's an important part of the story because it just shows how life truly is and I'm really touched by it. It surprises me a lot because I never imagined the story would be touching. But it is, and I'm very happy about it.

Ruins has its flaws. But it's truly an amazing conclusion for a dystopian story.

Rating: 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment