Saturday, January 18, 2014

The Death Cure: Review

Synopsis:

Thomas knows that Wicked can't be trusted, but they say the time for lies is over, that they've collected all they can from the Trials and now must rely on the Gladers, with full memories restored, to help them with their ultimate mission. It's up to the Gladers to complete the blueprint for the cure to the Flare with a final voluntary test.

What Wicked doesn't know is that something's happened that no Trial or Variable could have foreseen. Thomas has remembered far more than they think. And he knows that he can't believe a word of what Wicked says.

The time for lies is over. But the truth is more dangerous than Thomas could ever imagine.
Will anyone survive the Death Cure?

***

I don't know what to say about this book. Mostly because The Death Cure is just nowhere as good as The Scorch Trials, let alone The Maze Runner. There are so many unanswered stuff. And I'm dying to know these things. Like Thomas's memory before the Maze, his relationship between Teresa, Aris and the other girl before the Maze. It's so dissatisfying that I have little idea about these things. There are snippets about Thomas's life before the Maze when he remembers something accidentally. But no more. It's extremely disappointing.

The plot is nowhere as unpredictable and exciting as the first two books. Sure, Thomas, Minho, Newt and Brenda still has to solve a bunch of problems. Problems with the WICKED and the outside world. But no more puzzles, or at least not in the way I want. And HERE I THOUGH THIS SERIES WILL BE SOLVING PUZZLES THAT COME WITH UNEXPECTED CONSEQUENCES. Forgive me for my outburst, but I can only enjoy this book for about less than half of the time.

Thomas kind of pisses me off in The Death Cure. I kinda like that guy in the previous two books, because he's smart, logical and pretty strong if you ask me. Okay, he's still smart. But the smart part is totally not obvious in this book. Strength? Almost none. Because in The Death Cure he HESITATES a lot. About what is really right and wrong. Come on, dude. Make a decision quickly. You are in grave danger and you're still thinking about doing exactly right? I kinda understand he doesn't want his memory back, even though it pisses me off (a lot) that I will never know about what happened before the Maze. No matter what, Thomas is just not as awesome as in the previous two books.

The ending is not satisfying either. Not that it's not good. It just feels RUSHED. And a whole lot of RUSHED. One minute they're in grave danger, and the next they're free and safe suddenly. What the hell? Surely the end could be better than that? I really don't understand how ending with a bang within seconds is classified as a good ending. It's not disappointing, but it certainly isn't satisfying.

It seems like I'm complaining a lot about The Death Cure. What I want to say is: The Death Cure is actually not bad, but it certainly isn't as good as The Maze Runner and The Scorch Trials.

Rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment