Monday, January 20, 2014

Killer Frost: Review

Synopsis:

I’ve battled the Reapers of Chaos before–and survived. But this time I have a Bad, Bad Feeling it’s going to be a fight to the death … most likely mine.

Yeah, I’ve got my psychometry magic, my talking sword, Vic–and even the most dangerous Spartan on campus at my side, in Logan freaking Quinn, but I’m no match for Loki, the evil Norse god of chaos. I may be Nike’s Champion, but at heart, I’m still just Gwen Frost, that weird Gypsy girl everyone at school loves to gossip about.

Then someone I love is put in more danger than ever before, and something inside me snaps. This time, Loki and his Reapers are going down for good … or I am.

***

Killer Frost is a very different book from the previous five, mainly because Gwen has changed A LOT. Sure, she's still the girl with a snarky undertone, still the Gypsy girl that everyone talks about, still trying to figure out a way to stay alive. But this time she's on edge. Ready to throw herself to the final battle because of what happened to that certain someone she loves, no matter how dangerous and reckless it is. It's not normal to see Gwen so enraged, but it certainly gives a sharp edge for the book. Hey, Killer Frost is supposed to be sharp. That's actually kind of perfect for the book.

Unlike Midnight Frost, this book doesn't bore me out even on the least bit. No, action is on a roll in Killer Frost. Countless fights, whether physical or mental, Gwen being reckless/brave/however you call it, are heart-stopping. Especially the final battle. I kind of see the outcome coming, but for some reason the outcome still surprises me to no ends. These fights, combined with Gwen's edginess, make it the best book in the series.

The romance, surprisingly, is not that big of a part of Killer Frost. Surprising, because for some reason I kind of expect one-on-one sections between Gwen and Logan, after that certain event in Crimson Frost. But there are not. There aren't many make-out or kissing scene either. I don't really know what I feel about that, but I don't feel annoyed that there aren't many Gwen/Logan scene. I suppose that's a good thing, because I'm really feeling crappy (sorry, but that's the only way I can put it) recently.

Killer Frost has a completely different tone from the previous five books, and it makes quite a good ending for Mythos Academy series. I always think that Mythos Academy is an exception to my disdain towards novels with an academy as the background. And this final installment proves it right. Again. 

Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment