Saturday, December 28, 2013

Top Ten YA Novels 2013 #3: Allegiant by Veronica Roth

Aha! This is one hell of a controversy. Some said that it has the best ending. Some said that it's not and it's unnecessary to end it like this. Some said that it's heart-breaking but at least the characters have their kind of closure they need. I'm more of the third type. And this book, however hard the ending is for us to accept, is still pretty good.

The third place belongs to:

Allegiant by Veronica Roth


Synopsis:

The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered—fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories.

But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature—and of herself—while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love.

Told from a riveting dual perspective, Allegiant, by #1 New York Times best-selling author Veronica Roth, brings the Divergent series to a powerful conclusion while revealing the secrets of the dystopian world that has captivated millions of readers in Divergent and Insurgent.

***

Date Read: October 23, 2013

My Review:


My Rating: 9.5/10

***

Top 5 Reasons Why I Like It:

1. The ending
Yes, you heard me right. A lot of fans doesn't like the ending but I do. I get that why they don't like it because they think it's unnecessary for... um, a certain death to happen. I don't like deaths either, but as much as it's heartbreaking, I really like it. It shows completely what this series really is about: courage, love and ultimate sacrifice. 

2. The truth
Not that the truth is exceptionally explosive. Because genetically alteration is nothing too explosive. But it's unexpected, and that's good enough. I like unexpected things.

3. Nothing is as it seems
When you think the world outside Chicago is better than the world inside no matter what, the danger the characters encountered has proven them wrong. And there are a hundred other things that are not what we're expecting them to be. And I'm a girl who loves uncovering secrets underneath layers of faux goodness.

4. Digging deeper into the characters' hearts
In Allegiant, we know more about the characters internal fears and strength. Tris' fear of her love ones getting hurt, Tris' sacrifice. Tobias' fear of being not good enough, and his determination to make it right... We know so much more about them in Allegiant. I'm tired of seeing only one side of a character.

5. Christina
Christina is actually my favorite character in Allegiant. She's been so strong for both Tris and Tobias when they're going through their hard times. I'd love to have her as friend.

***

Why I recommend this book/series:
Easy. The factions, the dangers, the sacrifices... It's just an excellent model for a dystopian novel. Especially the first book, which is pretty awesome, as the whole concept of bravery dawns on Tris and us.

***

Do I like the cover?

The orange background seems a little odd first, but I've got used to it. The water is awesome.

***

Top 3 Favorite Scenes:

1. When Tris and her friends finally escaped
I was all like, "Yes! Yes! Yes! Finally! Let's go outside and see what it really is!".

2. The ending
Like I said, this ending brings closure the characters need. Loss is hard, but this mends our hearts.

3. Various heart-to-heart scenes between Tris and Tobias
Yes, their confession is endearing, especially when they're clearing out nasty stuff standing between their relationship.

***

OTP:

None

Reason: I like Tris/Tobias, but this time they ticked me off a little too much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment