Monday, December 30, 2013

Top Ten YA Novels 2013 #1: Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare

Oh yes. My choice of the best YA novel in 2013. I miss it so much. And I'm still having withdrawals of it.

The first place belongs to:

Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare

Synopsis:

Danger and betrayal, secrets and enchantment in the breathtaking conclusion to the Infernal Devices trilogy.

Tessa Gray should be happy – aren't all brides happy? Yet as she prepares for her wedding, a net of shadows begins to tighten around the Shadowhunters of the London Institute.

A new demon appears, one linked by blood and secrecy to Mortmain, the man who plans to use his army of pitiless automatons, the Infernal Devices, to destroy the Shadowhunters. Mortmain needs only one last item to complete his plan. He needs Tessa. And Jem and Will, the boys who lay equal claim to Tessa's heart, will do anything to save her.

***

Date Read: March 20, 2013

Review: 

http://smoking-hot-books.blogspot.com/2013/03/clockwork-princess-review.html

My Rating: 11 10/10

***

Top 5 Reasons Why I Like It: (This is going to be hard, as I love every single thing about it)

1. How it links to other Shadowhunters series
Oh yes. One of the most powerful sources of the feels. I'm not going to explain the details of those links because they will be huge spoilers. But as much as it gives me massive amounts of heartbreak, it's completely brilliant and awe-inducing. There are no words.

2. The ending
The bittersweet ending. It's hard to explain the feelings I have for the ending. To say it vaguely, it's the best ending I've ever read. To say it in detail, well... it's really sad and mind-blowing, knowing that your favorite characters are dead already for several decades (since the ending sets in 2008, no spoilers included, cuz this is officially announced by Cassie). But it's a very nice ending for all the characters that we've grown to love because they get the closure that they want. It's very hard to write this kind of ending, but Cassie did it. And I really love it.

3. The love between Tessa, Will and Jem
Like Tessa said, it might sound mad. But there's no lack of love between the three of them. They're inseparable. It was always the three of them. And it will always be. Yes, it's a love triangle. But for the first time. No jealousy, no ugly emotions between them. Only love and care for each other. I don't understand how Cassie write this kind of relationship and make it one of the best things in the world. There are no words to describe the goodness of the three of them.

4. Cecily and Gabriel
The two of them are awesome and hilarious together. Cecily, new to the Shadow world. And Gabriel, torn between family duty and righteousness. And they collide like two perfect puzzle pieces clicked together. They make the book so much lighter and fill it with happiness. Which is kind of what I need when I read it. Well, intense is nice, but a touch of lightness makes the world a better place.

5. Parabatai
Will and Jem. The two of them will do anything for each other (well, almost anything. Depends on what that thing is). No need to say more. They're just too good to be true.

***

Why I like this book/series:

Okay, am I seriously going to do this? Yes. I love the whole series, and I suggest everyone to try it.

1. It's set in 1878, London (Victorian Era)
Set in Victorian London? This series is destined for greatness. I always have a soft spot for Victorian London because it's like the golden era of London and great stories evolved constantly. And Shadowhunters, in Victorian London? It's like the best thing ever.

2. The series is centered on the ancestors of The Mortal Instruments and The Dark Artifices' characters.
A glimpse of a family's past. This alone is fascinating enough. Not to mention we get to see Jace's, Clary's Alec's ancestors! It's mad cool. The best part is that their ancestors are very likable (I don't have a better word) too (well, most of them at least). 

3. The link between series
Especially the one between The Infernal Devices and The Mortal Instruments. It's mind-blowing, and the wait for an answer is excruciating. The link is addicting like that. You can't miss that one, especially if you are reading both the series.

4. A touch of literature
Okay, maybe not just a touch. I'm totally not an expert on British literature. But I think they're really beautiful. And the fact that the series itself is based on a classic makes everything so much better.

5. Ducks
The hatred for ducks has evolved since I read Clockwork Angel. It's always the best part in the series. Never trust a duck.

There are just so many good things in The Infernal Devices. But I'm not going to list all. Read it yourself. It's one of the best series.

***

Top 3 Favorite Scenes:

1. The whole epilogue
See point 2 from Top 5 Reasons Why I Like It. Oh and then there's a certain ex-Silent Brother present. Best closure ever.

2. The cave scene
Ah, a Tessa/Will scene. Well, if you recall, in this year's YA Crush Tourney, Cassie promised us a short story written in Will's point of view about the cave scene if Will won the final round. He didn't. But that's not the point. I'm DYING to read his perspective concerning the cave scene!!!!!!!!!!! Hot, sweet, emotional, and completely perfect. I love the scene.

3. The Measure of Love (Chapter 24)
The whole chapter is filled with joy. And I really need some joy in the series. Like I said, intense is nice, but a touch of lightness makes the world better.

***

OTP:

OTP means One True Pairing. But this is not a pair.

Because my OTP is:

Will/Jem/Tessa.

***

P.S. Tomorrow is the last day of 2013. And it's time for listopia!

No comments:

Post a Comment