Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The Fall of Hotel Dumort: Review

Synopsis:

Magnus Bane watches the once-glamorous Hotel Dumort become something else altogether in 1970s New York City.

Fifty years after the Jazz Age rise of the Hotel Dumort, immortal warlock Magnus Bane knows the Manhattan landmark is on the decline. The once-beautiful Hotel Dumort has fallen into a decayed thing, a ruin, as dead as a place can be. But the vampires don't mind...

***

It's a nice read. Although America in the seventies is not one of my favorite ages, it's a wonderful and dark age for mankind/mundanes. I'm surprised The Fall of Hotel Dumort is closely associated with drugs. Not the supernatural kind of drugs, but a surprisingly human one --- cocaine. Never in a million years will I think of a drug as mundane as cocaine will be involved in something beyond mundane's understanding. Nice surprise, indeed.

And the fact that Camille plays a part brings out my curiosity. Camille's never one of my favorite characters but she's mysterious that I would like to know who she really is. Apparently we still don't get her real inner self but it's still interesting to see her purring all over the place. The ending is a little lame though. But overall the novella is good enough. Unfortunately the next is The Last Stand of The New York Institute. Well, maybe not "unfortunate", but we have to wait until January 21, 2014 for The Course of True Love, one of my most anticipated novella since The Midnight Heir. (I mean, MALEC!!!)

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment