Saturday, October 26, 2013

Teardrop: Review

Synopsis:

Never, ever cry...

Seventeen-year-old Eureka won't let anyone close enough to feel her pain. After her mother was killed in a freak accident, the things she used to love hold no meaning. She wants to escape, but one thing holds her back: Ander, the boy who is everywhere she goes, whose turquoise eyes are like the ocean.

And then Eureka uncovers an ancient tale of romance and heartbreak, about a girl who cried an entire continent into the sea. Suddenly her mother's death and Ander's appearance seem connected, and her life takes on dark undercurrents that don't make sense.

Can everything you love be washed away?

***

I have mixed opinions about this book.

Good things first. It's unlike any background I've ever read. The name Atlantis is familiar, though I thought this is too widely use to have anything surprising. Apparently Lauren Kate can find that spot that makes me raise my eyebrows. I guess this series has potential then. And the fact that shedding a tear can bring an apocalypse is pretty crazy too. I like crazy stuff. Though I don't really like Eureka in general, I respect her toughness that she didn't shed a tear since... well, a long time ago. I'm not a crying person, but I'm not that tough either.

Unfortunately this book has a lot of flaws. The plot is so unclear that I have a hard time understanding at first, and then suddenly it becomes very predictable before anything closely related to it is known by us. Well, I'd like it to stay unclear and mysterious rather than this because it just sucks a lot of fun. The characters aren't exactly that likable either. Except maybe Brooks. (Spoiler!) The real one (End of spoiler) I don't really like Eureka that much, though I can't explain why. Normally I like toughness in female main characters. Her's just doesn't do it for me though, even though I respect it. Ander... I don't know what to say about him. He's too perfect to be true, which is an aspect that I normally won't like. And I have to admit sometimes he creeps me out a little. Not that male-stripper kind of creepy, but still uncomfortable. The ending is really nothing special too. I was expecting more but ended up a little disappointed.

Teardrop is a book that I don't know how to describe probably. But two things are certain. One, that I will read the sequel just to know what will happen. Second is that I think this series has potential to be really awesome, but we'll have to see about it.

Rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment