Thursday, August 22, 2013

Spark: Review

Synopsis:

Gabriel Merrick plays with fire. Literally. Sometimes he can even control it. And sometimes he can't. Gabriel has always had his brothers to rely on, especially his twin, Nick. But when an arsonist starts wreaking havoc on their town, all the signs point to Gabriel. Only he's not doing it. And no one seems to believe him. Except a shy sophomore named Layne, a brainiac who dresses in turtlenecks and jeans and keeps him totally off balance. Because Layne has a few secrets of her own..

***

Spark features Gabriel Merrick, who can wield fire. And I like the story better than Storm. Not that Storm is not good. In fact we can see the author has a strong story-building skill in Storm. But in Spark, things are just more intense than before. Because the danger is right in our faces right from the start of the book and it just gets worse every chapter. And we know nearly nothing until nearly the end of the book. That's the anticipation meant to bring me down. 

It's been a while since I've read a good book. And this is one of the greatest fun I've had these days. Starting with the characters. I have so much fun reading about them, especially Gabriel. I can't believe he's more hot-headed than Chris! Despite him being a constant jerk to others and he can't keep mockery from his voice for even about five minutes, he kinda grows on me... probably because I think he's a strong and lively character and he's not too perfect to be true (okay, he's not perfect at all, but come on). Layne is Gabriel's counterpart, steady and nice. But her past disappoints me a little, though I suppose that's not her fault but the blurb's. I mean, "Layne has a few secrets of her own" can raise questions. But there's nothing major so I think the blurb is quite misleading. But whatever, I like Layne. More than Becca.

Emotions are more tense in this book. It's just how I like it. I mean, when you are not certain about your crush having the same feelings towards you, and your grades are causing troubles, and your brothers don't trust you to stay out of danger, it's a massive self-esteem and good-mood shredder. The helplessness and anger is present in most of the parts. The atmosphere that the author created keeps me reading. That. Is. Brilliant.

If you haven't read Elemental, you should go for it like right now because you will like it.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment