Thursday, August 22, 2013

Breathless: Review

Synopsis:

Too many secrets. Not enough time.

Nick Merrick is supposed to be the level-headed one. The peacemaker. Since it’s just him and his three hotheaded brothers against the world, that’s a survival tactic.

But now he’s got problems even his brothers can’t help him survive.

His so-called girlfriend, Quinn, is going quick as mercury from daring to crazy. Meanwhile, Quinn’s dancer friend Adam is throwing Nick off balance, forcing him to recognize a truth he’d rather shove back into the dark.

He can feel it—the atmosphere is sizzling. Danger is on the way. But whatever happens next, Nick is starting to find out that sometimes nothing you do can keep the peace.

***

I'm most interested in Nick among the four Merricks. I mean, he's so perfect and steady on the surface while the other three are hot-headed and headstrong. But underneath the perfection I think he has tons of pressure and uncertainty. We get a glimpse of what life is really like for Nick. He struggles a lot in this novella. He's torn between college, family business and feelings that he feels he's not supposed to have. It's a lot of fun reading this novella. (Spoiler!) Especially when it comes to his sexual preferences. I mean, I totally support homosexual realationships (I ship Alec and Magnus, come on). But for some reason, him struggling to understand his feelings towards a boy is kinda funny to me. (End of Spoiler) He's not as boring as I thought he would be. I think I will like Secret, sequel of Spirit, which is about Nick, also. (The title fits, by the way).

But there's a fatal flaw that makes me wanna punch something (maybe not that violent, but close). That's the inclusion of Quinn's point of view. First of all, I don't like her. Not that she's whiny or anything, but she's pretty annoying. And second, I cannot see the reason why Kemmerer has to use Quinn's point of view when the whole story can be told only in Nick's point of view. And third, even if Quinn's point of view is needed, I don't think I'm interested in her part of the story. Sorry, Quinn, but I'm just being honest.

I think I like Breathless more than Elemental. I can't say exactly why, but I guess I like Nick better than Michael. :p

Rating: 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment