Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Ethereal: Review

Synopsis:

***

This book has a good setting. Okay, this is still about angel stuff and Nephilim. Nothing new. But hey, factions sounds kinda good to me. And the Nephilim has a killa name too. Earthbound angels. Because they don't have wings. Cool name. And there are wars between factions. That's better. I hate Nephilim being all good or all bad. Some of them has to be good or bad. (Lame as it sounded, this whole thing kinda reminds me of Divergent simply because of the word "faction". Jeez)

Another relatively good thing about Ethereal is the writing. The words are easy to understand and not too melodramatic. They are easy to sink in especially when you like the book. But unfortunately I'm not a big fan of it. Here's why:

1. The characters: None of them are remarkable enough to make an impression of me. In my conscious mind I know how the characters are and where their positions are. But that's it. I just know it. I don't feel it. That's a huge downside. It's not like I don't like the characters. But none are strong characters. Not even the supposedly main characters.

2. The plot: It's smooth, I'd give it credit for that. But too smooth is exactly the problem. I mean, come on, moving to a new town, meet the boy(s) and bam! Things are suddenly a little crazy and they fall in love AT FIRST SIGHT? I hate to say it, but it's a little lame. Sorry, I'm not who I used to be and I'm not down with the whole love-at-first-sight thing. And the mysterious parts just aren't as mysterious as they should be. Things are way too predictable here. And there's already drama and scandal. I heard that those kind of things will only get worse in this series. Le sigh.

Despite all the flaws and imperfections, I'm actually okay with this book. But I'm not so sure about reading the sequel, Tremble. It seems like things won't develop much in the sequel because hey, it's only slightly more than 107 pages. What can you expect?

Rating: 6/10




No comments:

Post a Comment