Thursday, June 6, 2013

Phoenix: Review

Synopsis:

Ash and Natalie are just starting to build a life together when things in the United Sentry States go from bad to worse. Ash and Natalie find themselves at the center of turmoil when dictator Purian Rose threatens Natalie’s life unless Ash votes in favor of Rose’s Law—a law that will send Darklings and other dissenters to a deadly concentration camp known as the Tenth.

When Ash can’t bring himself to trade Natalie’s life for those of millions of Darklings, her fate is sealed. Enter Elijah Theroux, the handsome Bastet boy Natalie once saved from her mother’s labs, where he’d been experimented on and tortured. It was his venom the Sentry used to create the lethal Golden Haze, the heart of the government conspiracy that led to Black City’s uprising and Ash’s rebirth as the Phoenix, the face of the rebellion. Elijah is back and Ash doesn’t like him; it’s clear he’s taken with Natalie, and Ash fears she may have feelings for him as well.

But Elijah also may have the answer to taking down Purian Rose for good—a powerful weapon called the Ora. Ash, Natalie and Elijah just have to escape Black City undetected to find it. But fleeing the city and finding this weapon (if it even exists) are easier said than done, and the quest could tear Ash and Natalie apart, even pushing them into the arms of others.

This enthralling sequel to Black City is just as absorbing, delicious and steamy as the first book, leaving readers hungry for the series conclusion.


***

First off, I need to start with "I'm alive." Yeah, it's been a little while since I post a review but I just don't have time for this lately. Don't worry, though. I will be posting a lot more after... June 18.

Okay, I can't say I LOVE Black City because clearly the best I can say is I LIKE the first book. There are certain things that are admirable in Black City. But damn, this book has blown way past "admirable". It's addicting and a whole lot of intriguing. I was pretty surprised to fall into the story instantly but I'm really glad I did. This is one of those cases where the sequel is much better than the first one. 

The characters are fascinating to read. Every single one of them. Elizabeth Richards writing has improved a lot. Ash is resurrected as the Phoenix and he's just as sweet and loving and intense. Natalie has grown up a lot too. She's no longer the "Sentry Brat" as Ash once called her. She is able to make her own mature decisions and even though sometimes I didn't agree with her decisions, I completely understand her motives and surprisingly, I'm not annoyed by her anymore. Elijah is... well, the mysterious guy and the Bastet Natalie saved. I don't hate him since there's hardly anything to hate... for me (actually there's a lot to hate. But I just can't hold that against him). He's not boring. But he's not exactly the most interesting part of the story either. The villain in this book is Purian Rose and, oh you have no idea how evil he is until you read the book! He reminds me of Sarren from The Eternity Cure so much, probably because they're both ruthless, cold-blood and cunning bad guys.

The plot is also just as nice and awesome as the romance. First is the plot. Yep, you will love every single moment because there's nothing boring about it. In fact the twists are so finely made that they are sophisticated. Excitement is definitely present. Now comes to the romance part. Damn if that part didn't break my heart completely into shards and splinters. Yeah, there are so many things happen between Ash and Natalie and some are... not so nice to our hearts. I have to say that the romance part is kind of a classic but strangely it still breaks me wide open (because I don't take well with classics normally). Bittersweet moments are guaranteed and you will find out why. 

Now I totally need the third book. I can't wait!

Rating: 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment