Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Of Triton: Review

Synopsis:

In this sequel to OF POSEIDON, Emma has just learned that her mother is a long-lost Poseidon princess, and now struggles with an identity crisis: As a Half-Breed, she’s a freak in the human world and an abomination in the Syrena realm below. Syrena law states that all Half- Breeds should be put to death.

As if that’s not bad enough, her mother’s reappearance among the Syrena turns the two kingdoms—Poseidon and Triton—against one another. Which leaves Emma with a decision to make: Should she comply with Galen’s request to keep herself safe and just hope for the best? Or should she risk it all and reveal herself—and her Gift—to save a people she’s never known?


***

Aww, did I love this one! It's so fast paced that I read it in 3 hours straight! The book had me instantly soaked in the time I flip on the very first page. And there are so many plot twists that my jaw was hanging open constantly while reading it. Almost every chapter has a WTF?! (of course in a good way) moment and I love how different between the end of Of Triton and Of Poseidon are because the focus of the story has changed completely but strangely without leaving too many details of the past events behind (did I mention there are a lot of recaps to make sure you will not be confused?). It's a good thing to read for relaxation after preparing for annual exam for hours (well, despite it's excitement). It ends really well too. And to my surprise, the ending leaves nearly nothing behind and makes us wonder what will happen in the third installment (Of Neptune). It's quite an unusual way to end a second installment because normally the ending will be like a prologue of a series of exciting events in the third book. But strangely it isn't. I like how the book ends because it's really new to me.

There are three flaws about the story. They are extremely minor comparing to the awesomeness of the book, though, so no worries. I have a slight problem with all the characters except Emma. Emma is stronger and a true heroine in this book. In some ways she's also snarkier. And she definitely has an edge that only a brave girl would have. She's literally my favorite character in Of Triton. Of all the characters, I have the most problem with Emma's mom (that doesn't mean I like her the least). (Slight Spoiler ahead!) I mean, come on. Is Emma so very completely unbelievable (literally) that you can't trust her that Grom is actually alive despite you can't sense her?! That leaves me rolling my eyes at her for about... several minutes I guess? And I know every Syrena has a feisty and slightly extreme temper. But not only she and Grom are disgustingly sweet (yeah, disgustingly being the keyword) after their reunion, but return to her status as a long-lost runaway Poseidon princess with utter self-indulgence? I can't like her as much as in Of Poseidon anymore. (End of Slight Spoiler)

The second flaw is actually not a problem to me. But it might be a slight problem for some of the readers. It's fast-paced, yes. And I love it. (Slight Spoiler ahead!) But sometimes, when I think about the story, the whole Jagen-wanting-to-overthrow-the-kingdoms thing happens so fast and ends so fast that it's like nothing serious has happened at all. I think more twists can be put into this overthrowing drama because there are so many to write in this topic. I know it will sound more like a dystopian novel than ever (you know, overthrowing a kingdom and all), but what I really think is that more misunderstanding between the Royals and the Commons can be put in the story so it will be more exciting and well... not so shallow for some people. (End of Spoiler). But I think the book is good enough.

The third flaw is what I like least. And that's the lack of humor. Okay, I can totally admit that there are times where I burst out laughing when reading some of the scenes. But overall humor is totally lacking. Excitement is guaranteed. But it's like the humor in the first book cannot be passed over to this installment and that's quite a disappointment. I hope Of Neptune will do better because I really miss the humor and snarkiness.

Overall, it's really good and you should read this book and Of Poseidon as well because you will love the Syrena world Anna Banks created.

Rating: 8.5/10

(Now on the looooooong wait for Of Neptune...)


No comments:

Post a Comment