Sunday, May 5, 2013

Breaking Point: Review

Synopsis:

The second installment in Kristen Simmons's fast-paced, gripping YA dystopian series.

After faking their deaths to escape from prison, Ember Miller and Chase Jennings have only one goal: to lay low until the Federal Bureau of Reformation forgets they ever existed.

Near-celebrities now for the increasingly sensationalized tales of their struggles with the government, Ember and Chase are recognized and taken in by the Resistance—an underground organization working to systematically take down the government. At headquarters, all eyes are on the sniper, an anonymous assassin taking out FBR soldiers one by one. Rumors are flying about the sniper’s true identity, and Ember and Chase welcome the diversion….

Until the government posts its most-wanted list, and their number one suspect is Ember herself.

Orders are shoot to kill, and soldiers are cleared to fire on suspicion alone. Suddenly Ember can’t even step onto the street without fear of being recognized, and “laying low” is a joke. Even members of the Resistance are starting to look at her sideways.

With Chase urging her to run, Ember must decide: Go into hiding…or fight back?


***

After reading Article 5, I thought I would like this book because... okay, Article 5 is not the best dystopian book I've ever read, but it's good enough to push me into reading the sequel, which is this book. But no matter how hard I tried, I just can't like this book as much as I like Article 5. I just can't feel attached to any kind of plot twists or developments while reading this book. It's like I'm watching everything from a distance so far away that I can't feel anything at all. And I can't remember much about Breaking Point except for a few things.

Ember has grown. Harden and more tough. Typical for a dystopian heroine. What I feel a tad bit annoyed and relieved at the same time is that underneath the armor and mask, she's still the girl in Article 5. Relieved, because I usually can't bear to watch a main female character change too much to be herself. Annoyed, because she's still so stubborn. But that's a minor problem. I still kinda like her.

Chase, on the other hand, changes so much (or should I say he changes BACK so much?). He's not the emotionless mannequin and inhuman shell we saw in Article 5 anymore. And I supposed that's a good thing, because it's obvious that his good side is always there. And the masked boy I saw in Article 5 ticks me off so much I often wanna shove something in his face. Another good thing about it.

But the plot... well, not so much. There are many new characters that I care almost nothing about them. To me that's a bad thing because sometimes supporting characters can be crucial to a book. And there are too many plot twists. Normally I love a plot that is so complicated and twisted because that makes things exciting. I can see the attempt here. But there are so many twists and unexpected developments that I don't know or care what's been going on in the book. That's the deadly flaw and the main reason why I can't like this book.

I'm not sure if I will read Three, the third book of the series (trilogy?). But if I'm gonna read it, I'm sure I will have to make past my reading-slump state. Because I have a feeling my indifference towards this book is because of the reading-slump state.

Rating: 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment