Friday, March 29, 2013

With All My Soul: Review

Synopsis:

What does it mean when your school is voted the most dangerous in America? It's time to kick some hellion butt...

After not really surviving her junior year (does "undead" count as survival?), Kaylee Cavanaugh has vowed to take back her school from the hellions causing all the trouble. She's going to find a way to turn the incarnations of Avarice, Envy and Vanity against one another in order to protect her friends and finish this war, once and forever.

But then she meets Wrath and understands that she's closer to the edge than she's ever been. And when one more person close to her is taken, Kaylee realizes she can't save everyone she loves without risking everything she has....


***

Aww, what an epic finale that is! I have to admit that I don't really have that high hopes at first. I like Soul Screamers because the setting is unique. But... the characters are just not impressive enough to stay in my head for that long in the previous six books. But now Rachel Vincent has made sure they stick in my head forever now. This is an awesome book, and the ending is epic! 

Things are getting crazy in this book. Yep, Kaylee wants revenge/justice/ whatever she claims on Avari for killing her best friends... uh, body. But things doesn't really work out that good. Which is fine for me. Well, what fun will that be if there isn't anything steps on their way? I have to say stuff isn't that appealing for me at first, because the start is... a little bit slow. But things are getting more fast-paced throughout the book. And in the end, it's a grand finale. 

For once, the characters aren't annoying me anymore. Not even a bit. I mean, when I read Before I Wake, I kind of feel like I'm caught between cyclones of smart-ass remark and constant bickering. Believe me, it's definitely not the most appealing experience since I was born. Yeah, there are also arguing, but they all based on important things and not those piss-me-off stuff. I won't say they grow up throughout the book, but their relationship are getting better, and that's a good thing.

The last three chapters pains me when I try to get through it. A lot. Don't get me wrong, the finale is one of the most awesome thing I have ever read. But the heart-break and the torment... ahh, it nearly unravels me. The sacrifice is just... almost unimaginable. You will definitely have a hard time breathing when reading the final three chapters. I can't believe I can cry and laugh in a matter of minutes. A little bit overwhelming, yes. Glad that it's not as overwhelming as Clockwork Princess, or I will sure die of total mental break-down.

Yep, the Soul Screamer series is over. And I'm a little bit surprised that I actually miss it. Yeah, I like it. A lot. But it's not my top ten favorite. And when the end of With All My Soul actually sticks into my head... I guess I can only say Rachel Vincent gets my heart. So yes, I will read more of Rachel Vincent's future installments and the remaining two Unbound novels. 

Let's just put things simple this time: I LOVE WITH ALL MY SOUL.

Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment