Friday, March 22, 2013

Flashback Friday: Betrayed by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast


Synopsis:

Fledgling vampyre Zoey Redbird has managed to settle in at the House of Night.  She's come to terms with the vast powers the vampyre goddess, Nyx, has given her, and is getting a handle on being the new Leader of the Dark Daughters. Best of all, Zoey finally feels like she belongs--like she really fits in. She actually has a boyfriend…or two. Then the unthinkable happens: Human teenagers are being killed, and all the evidence points to the House of Night. While danger stalks the humans from Zoey's old life, she begins to realize that the very powers that make her so unique might also threaten those she loves. Then, when she needs her new friends the most, death strikes the House of Night, and Zoey must find the courage to face a betrayal that could break her heart, her soul, and jeopardize the very fabric of her world.

***

I thought this book is... not that good, but good enough. Better than Marked, obviously. But you have to bear in mind that this is ONLY the second book I read when I first dwelt on YA novels. I didn't have that much of perspective then. And now I have. So recently I re-read some of the very first YA novels I read. And I came up with... Betrayed.

Okay, the problem is definitely bigger and harder to solve in Betrayed. I mean, in Marked, it's just... school stuff and no more. But this time it involves fledglings' lives. So yeah, I will say the plot is getting better at this point (keyword: at this point). I won't say this is the best plot in the whole world. But again, it's good enough for a second book (considering I didn't even know when the series is gonna end).

Zoey... well, I can't say she grew up a lot in this book, since this is only the second book and there are like, what, 12 books? The plot is very, very long. So I don't really think she actually grew up that much in this book. Yep, her power is appreciative. But then this is not her OWN power. It's the power that the Goddess gave her in Marked. I believe that her own power will earn more respect from me.

The villain starts to rise in this book. Neferet, the High Priestess of the Oklahoma House of Night. That's one of the main reasons why this book is better than the last. Because come on, everyone knows that even a bitchy Aphrodite can't be a VILLAIN. And there's not much mention in Marked that involves the hidden threat. And now, she rises. That's a good thing, at least things will get interesting. Well, that's what I thought when I first read Betrayed.

When I first read Betrayed, I had high hopes on this series because it's very, very different from Twilight (wait, is Twilight a YA novel?). Well, you can see that's not the case anymore. As I've said a thousand times already, the plot is WAY TOO LONG and that kind of ruins the whole story. Glad that the 11th book will come out in October this year. Or I will go crazy. (And the 11th is not even the last book yet. Sigh.)

Rating: 5.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment