Monday, January 14, 2013

My Soul To Save: Review

Sequel of My Soul To Take.

Summary:

When Kaylee Cavanaugh screams, someone dies.

So when teen pop star Eden croaks onstage and Kaylee doesn’t wail, she knows something is dead wrong. She can’t cry for someone who has no soul.

The last thing Kaylee needs right now is to be skipping school, breaking her dad’s ironclad curfew and putting her too-hot-to-be-real boyfriend’s loyalty to the test. But starry-eyed teens are trading their souls: a flickering lifetime of fame and fortune in exchange for eternity in the Netherworld—a consequence they can’t possibly understand.

Kaylee can’t let that happen, even if trying to save their souls means putting her own at risk...


***

My Soul To Save is better than My Soul To Take in many ways. The stakes is higher in this book than My Soul To Take. The first glimpse of Netherworld... is really interesting. And really surprising. Why surprising? Come on, I thought Netherworld will be somewhere like, what, The Great City of Pandemonium in The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices? That they are all very cunning and annoying? Yeah, some of the are, indeed. But seeing those hellions saying to Kaylee that humans are merciless? That really startled out laughter from me. I mean, humans are emotional, and they say they are MERCILESS. Weird enough. But it's okay.

And there's the soulless thing. In Existence trilogy the Voodoo-produced things are soulless. But it seems more real and more unreal in Soul Screamers at the same time. We always say eyes are the windows for souls. And the eerie white eyes in the soulless teenagers? Really good illumination here. All-white eyes are very creepy (okay, expect the gods' eyes in Covenant series, I guess). But what is unreal about them is their emotions. I mean, it seems like they will not really change in personality or feelings towards others even after their soul has been sucked right out from their body. And Demon Breath doesn't seem to really change them (make them darker, I mean). That makes the whole soulless thing not so real. But whatever. The author has got great skills in the books.

Kaylee and Nash's relationship isn't the most important thing in the book. Which is good. I need some adventure. Not that a book without swooning equals to good. But a book with too much swooning equals to bad in my standards. So yeah, the author can handle the romance part well. 

And Tod is a little bit different from the Tod in My Soul To Take. He's... you can say he's more lively than before. Maybe it's because of the whole Addy-with-her-soul-at-stake thing. Clearly he loves her. Which is... alright, I guess. And the Emma-seeing-Tod-for-the-first-time can definitely be a classic in this series. This scene is just plain hilarious. And again, Emma can handle this super-weird situation surprisingly well. Points for Emma again. Sad that there's not much about Emma in My Soul To Save.

What is interesting about the book is that there are no real links between the events in My Soul to Take and My Soul To Save. I mean, in My Soul To Take, the teens' souls are stolen. And in this book, the teens give out their souls to hellions WILLINGLY. There's no real bond between two stories. Which is weird, considering I thought someone would seek revenge on Kaylee or Nash or something in My Soul To Save. But then, this is just the second book. Maybe there will be a really long plot afterward.

Rating: 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment