Tuesday, January 22, 2013

If I Die: Review

The fifth book of Soul Screamers series:

Synopsis:

The entire school's talking about the gorgeous new math teacher, Mr. Beck. Everyone except Kaylee Cavanaugh. After all, Kaylee's no ordinary high-school junior. She's a banshee—she screams when someone dies.

But the next scream might be for Kaylee.

Yeah—it's a shock to her, too. So to distract herself, Kaylee's going to save every girl in school. Because that hot new teacher is really an incubus who feeds on the desire of unsuspecting students. The only girls immune to his lure are Kaylee and Sabine, her boyfriend's needy ex-girlfriend. Now the unlikely allies have to get rid of Mr. Beck…before he discovers they aren't quite human, either.

But Kaylee's borrowed lifeline is nearing its end. And those who care about her will do anything to save her life.

Anything.


***

It's safe to call this book awesome as hell.

I mean, wow. How can I not give this 5 out of 5 stars? This book is way better than My Soul To Steal, and probably the best of all so far (because I just started Before I Wake). With the threat that seems higher than ever, and with strong twists in both the plot and the relationship between characters, this is a book that you shouldn't miss.

First is Kaylee's borrowed lifeline being near the end. Yeah, I know it's coming because of the synopsis. But actually seeing Tod forces out the truth in front of Kaylee and her dad is totally not the same thing. It's still shocking. And assume that I hadn't read the summary of this book, I would probably be like "no way, are you freaking serious? She can't die!" and blah and blah some more. The fate of Kaylee is set up in the book. And I gotta say, Rachel Vincent sets this up really well. How can you imagine the female protagonist is gonna die when the series is not even close to over? Nice one. Really nice one.

And here's one incubus problem. Which eventually lead to Kaylee's death. The problem itself is bad enough (and good enough for a fifth book of a series). With a freak of an incubus trying to get as many teenage girls pregnant as possible, this is not something even a main character of a book encounters every day, let alone normal people. And this incubus wants to kill Kaylee. The thread between events is so firm and solid. Probably the firmest out of all the books in the series. Another thing to be appreciated.

The love drama is still here. But things are getting better... and worse. Getting better, because of the truce between Kaylee and Sabine, who, is not as bitchy as in My Soul To Steal, which is a good thing considering I'm tired of bitchiness, especially in a book like If I Die. Getting worse, because of a couple of things. One is Tod. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying Tod is a problem (in fact I like him way more than Nash). But pissing your own brother off by snatching away his girlfriend is not something a normal person wanna do. Second is the whole Nash-hooking-up-with-Demon-Breath-AGAIN thing. And that's where I find him extremely infuriating. But one thing is certain: the love drama is finally tolerable now. Which is a good thing to me.

The book is filled with strong emotions which can lead your heart to anyway the author wants. Especially with the Tod/Kaylee part. It's mind-blowing too, considering how Nash reacts when he finds out about Tod and Kaylee, and how things get so incredibly screwed-up and there's a possibility that things will get too wrong to be fixed. The threats are getting harder and harder to solve. And this series is being way more interesting than I can imagine now.

Rating: 9/10

(Extra: I can finally decide between Team Nash and Team Tod since Tod confesses his love for Kaylee. And I'm Team Tod, especially after I read the first few chapters in Before I Wake)

No comments:

Post a Comment