Monday, January 7, 2013

Days of Blood and Starlight: Review

Summary:

Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love and dared to imagine a world free of bloodshed and war.

This is not that world.


Art student and monster's apprentice Karou finally has the answers she has always sought. She knows who she is—and what she is. But with this knowledge comes another truth she would give anything to undo: She loved the enemy and he betrayed her, and a world suffered for it.

In this stunning sequel to the highly acclaimed Daughter of Smoke & Bone, Karou must decide how far she'll go to avenge her people. Filled with heartbreak and beauty, secrets and impossible choices, Days of Blood & Starlight finds Karou and Akiva on opposing sides as an age-old war stirs back to life.

While Karou and her allies build a monstrous army in a land of dust and starlight, Akiva wages a different sort of battle: a battle for redemption. For hope.

But can any hope be salvaged from the ashes of their broken dream?


***

You know what? This book is cool and not cool at the same time.

The cool part is that the book is a hell of a ride. All the Thiago threats, Karou trapped in the sandcastle, Akiva's devastation, they all swing my emotions like hell. Especially the Karou part. Speaking of her, what the heck is wrong with her? Why such hatred? Yeah, I completely understand that Akiva killed many chimaera and her family. But Akiva didn't want it. He was devastated. I don't expect her forgive Akiva. But what is with her attitude? And she keeps trying to bury her emotions when no one actually cares she is the Angel-Lover. Never once in my life did I get so angry and hate a female character so much. Yeah, you heard me, HATE. And her bleakness is really annoying. 

But Days of Blood and Starlight isn't all good. Hate to say it, because at some point I admire Laini Taylor's writing skills. But this book is far too long. I mean, what's with 84 chapters? Not to mention that I have to read it for DAYS to finish it. And you know what? I have to prepare for my exams(sorry, this is not an excuse, but I just wanna say the book is so FREAKING long). This book is long, and at some point I thought I was gonna drop the book in the middle.  

The book ends with Karou and Akiva's reunion, happy. Good ending, right? Yeah, it kind of does, because I'm so sick at Karou being so cold on Akiva. But there's a problem about the ending. I mean, Karou's hate for Akiva had gone so deep throughout the book and the lack of mention of Akiva in Karou's pov is proof for me. Even though with Issa's reassurances and conviction, I'm still so surprised that Karou actually get back to Akiva. Don't you think that's odd when one's hatred for another is so deep that he or she cannot bear the sight of the another, but suddenly he or she go "it's alright, I love him/her."

Yes, Days of Blood and Starlight is a really good book considering the author's spectacular writing skills and the setting is just unique and awesome. But I'm still considering whether to read the third book or not because I'm kinda sick of the mention of Karou now and I think the book can be so very long.


Rating: 6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment