Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Top Ten YA Novels 2012: Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout

After several days, it's time for the first five favorite books in 2012!

(And you know what? Choosing between Onyx, Opal, Deity, Insurgent and City of Lost Souls is even harder than trying not to cry while reading Chapter 20 in Clockwork Prince)

No. 5: Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Summary:

Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…

Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.

Something worse than the Arum has come to town…

The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.

But then everything changes…

I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies…


***

Why I like this book so much:
  
1. humor:

One must always be prepared for the word wars between Daemon and Kat. They are so freaking cute! Especially the filming vlong scene in chapter 25. The "disastrous" scene":

Taking a deep breath, I started to do my vlog. "Hi, this is Kat from Katy's Krazy Obsession. Sorry for such a long absence. School and..."- My eyes darted to Daemon for a fraction of second  - "stuff have gotten in the way, but anyway, I have a guest. This is ---"
"Daemon Black," he answered for me. "I'm the guy she lays awake at night and fantasizes about."
My cheeks flushed as I elbowed him back. "And that is so not the truth. He's my neighbor--"
"And they guy she's completely obsessed with."
I forced a weak smile. "He's very egotistical and likes to hear his voice, but he's promised to stay quiet. Right?"
He nodded and smiled angelically for the camera, but his eyes stirred with amusement. Yep, this was a bad idea.

This scene makes me laugh every single time I read it. How can we not love Onyx when they got a sense of humor like that?


2. Very human aliens:

Yep, aliens. That's not something you can see in YA novels every day. I mean, many others are about either vamps, werewolves, angels or supernatural creatures like that, or dystopian novels. There's not really much about aliens. And I love alien stories. A hot alien made of light with unearthly beauty yet his emotions are so human? Definitely.


3. Cutest couple ever:

Few can deny that they look so hot and cute together, especially when we see them "in person" (Well, not exactly, since Pepe is still human, but still). And if you put them in the book, with all those word wars and steamy make out scenes, and all kinds of intense conversations, you can't deny they are the cutest couple ever made.


***

Why you guys should read this book:

1. Very different writing style:

I don't know why this is one of the reasons. But it is. Jen's words are so different from the others. There are no cruel hilarity in it, yet they can make you laugh very hard. JLA can also use words that you will bring your laughter out when these words are not humorous in other books. This kind of magic's quite cool. And there are all kinds of recovering after some steamy hot scene or unexpected danger. I find myself can't take too many things at once.


2. Aliens

Again, aliens. The reason is exactly the one above. You can scroll it back.


See my full review here:

http://smoking-hot-books.blogspot.hk/2012/08/onyx-review.html


***

Origin, the forth book of Lux series, will be released in July, 2013 (That's too far away!)

And Origin will be told in both Daemon and Kat's pov! (Swooning)

No comments:

Post a Comment