Sunday, December 9, 2012

The Immortal Rules: Review

Another Julie Kagawa's series! The Immortal Rules, book 1 of Blood of Eden.

Summary:

"In a future world, vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity."Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of "them." The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked--and given the ultimate choice. Die...or become one of the monsters.

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend--a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.

But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what--and who--is worth dying for.


***
After Twilight, House of Night and Vampire Academy, I become so familiar with vampires as the main supernatural creatures in a series that I have given hope on it. But you what? This book is plain awesome. Vampires in a dystopian world. This is so new. Who could've imagine that vampires can be tainted to a futuristic DYSTOPIAN world!? I have to say this is the BEST of all vampire books. Better than Vampire Academy. Even better than Bloodlines.

So here's Allison. The first part of the book is like then in Pandemonium, Lena in the Wilds with the Invalids trying to survive. Speaking of part 1, no offense, but this is my least favorite part of the book. Maybe because I'm just so tempted to flip the book to part 2. Back to Allie. She is tough, which is good, because no tough girl can survive through a dystopian world like that, especially when rabids are running around you constantly. I really do like her.

And there's Zeke. My favorite character in the book. He's sweet and caring, just like other dystopian main male characters. I'm sad that he and Allie have to part ways in the end, because I picture them as my OTP in Blood of Eden! Come on, can't you see that they care for each other? And sadly, I have the feeling that I won't see Zeke appear very often. Man, I love this guy. I hope Zeke and Allie will be endgame.

And there's Kanin, the mysterious, tall, and cold vampire Master. There's not much about him in the book. So I can't tell if I like him or not. And honestly, I wonder if he's as cold inside as he is on the outside. And if he has any feelings for Allie, I won't be surprised. Let's face it, why would he give a choice to Allie when he had sworn that he will never turn others anymore? He could've just let Allie die. If that's the case, I would love to see what will happen in The Eternity Cure even though I often loathe love triangles.

The writing style of The Immortal Rules is very different from The Iron Fey. The obvious part is definitely the start of the book. Well, in The Iron Fey, the narrator always state that who he/she is. But in this book there's no such thing. The not-so-obvious part is that it's more like other novels. The words are very different from The Iron Fey and even Call of the Forgotten series. And yeah, I love this new style of Julie.

I can't wait for 'Til The World Ends and The Eternity Cure. Guess I need to wait... again. UGH.

Rating: 8.5/10



No comments:

Post a Comment