Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Of Poseidon: Review

I'm reading another series now! It's Of Poseidon by Anna Banks.





Summary:

Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen — literally, ouch! — both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma's gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom . . .

Told from both Emma and Galen's points of view, here is a fish-out-of-water story that sparkles with intrigue, humor, and waves of romance.


***

My feelings are complicated about this book.

How complicated? Well let's see. My only not-so-complicated feeling is to Emma. I like her. Like really, really like her. She's so funny. Her jokes are pure yet vey striking. I can't imagine anyone who has this kind of ability (except maybe Kat and Alex?). And surprisingly, she can handle the whole Syrena mess quite calmly. I mean, don't you realize that all the girls with superpowers are always struggling between the new world and her old world, and that they are either emotional or can't accept this fact until something really bad happened? But she is handling it. She doesn't bitch out to much or anything. I appreciate her for that.

Galen is the part where things get complicated. Now I really like this dude. But at first I can't keep my eyes from rolling skywards whenever I read his point of view. I mean... I don't what I mean. But he seems so obsessive even at first. I think things are going too fast on Galen. And you know what? I actually think that he's obsessive and quite possessive/jealous and stalkerish. I find this quite annoying, seriously. At some point I think Emma is too good for Galen. Well I really like this guy now but I doubt I can read his perspective without rolling my eyes now.

So what's good about this book is the humor. I mean, the fun in it isn't cruel. Not even a bit. But I can't stop my grin from breaking out my face. I'm constantly amused by the book. Maybe that's one of the reason why I can't keep my eyes from not rolling skywards. 

Another thing is the character. Maybe you'll ask, "Hey, they are not perfect." And yeah, they are not perfect. But that's why I appreciate the author. She just write the real personality of the character. She doesn't even try to make the character perfect. Not even to Galen. Real things are good. There's no need for everything to be perfect.

But the bad thing is quite bad, actually. I mean, there's no real battle or anything. I don't think there will be one until Of Triton. But seriously, I'm expecting some sort of kick-ass scenes in the book. And then there is NONE. Which is quite disappointing. I have a thing for some little violence. And it's surprising (as well as annoying) finding out there is no such scenes.

This book is about Syrena, which is quite unique because we all think that Syrena (or mermaids, whatever) is something from Disney fairytale. And there's few books about this kind of creature. But damn, there is Of Poseidon, and Syrena is not what we think they are. Lately I've encountered so many new things. This is definitely one of them.

I'm reading Legacy Lost now. I think I will read Of Triton because of the humor and my expectation for some great battle.


Rating: 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment