Saturday, December 1, 2012

Across The Universe: Review

I'm sure I'm so outdated because I just finished Across The Universe... only.

Summary:

A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder.

Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone-one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship-tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.


***

This book is a little bit underrated. I think it should be at least 4 out of 5 when the rating is just 3.81 out of 5 in goodreads. I have to admit it starts out really confusing. Maybe the first thing I know for sure is that the time is a little bit jumping back and forth in the first chapters. But then when it comes to the awesome parts, things start looking more... chaotic in a very dystopian way. So except for the first part of the book, the rest of it is quite good, actually.

I think this is a dystopian novel. But this is very different because the setting isn't even on Earth (or Sol-Earth, whatever). Just look at all those very famous ones (okay, I totally get that Beth is also an NY times bestseller, but come on) like The Hunger Games, Divergent, Delirium, Shatter Me, etc. They all set on Earth. Maybe not the world we are so very familiar with, but at least, on Earth. This book sets on a space ship, with dying engines, weird people, fake nature, etc. I have to say the setting is unique. 

There's one shocking thing about the book though. It's not about the plot or anything like it. What is shocking is there are 80 FREAKING chapters. When I started the book and find that there are so many chapters, I was like are you serious? This book is not that thick. But then I realize there are so many very short chapters. And then I was like why did you divide so many chapters when quite a number of them just contain several sentences? So yeah, that's surprising, but I'm not complaining.

This book is about a kind-of homogenous society... on a space ship. This is more sci-fi then any other dystopian novel. Space ships, Phybus (is that what the drug called?), frozen cargo, nuclear energy, fake soil, fake grass, weird food, etc. The girl is quite different also. The girl's supposed to be strong or tough like nails in all the dystopian novels. But looks like Amy isn't one of those girls. Don't get me wrong, I'm totally cool with it. I just didn't expect a normal girl like her to be the main female protagonist.

And there's Elder. Well, I'm not sure what to say about Elder. Even though he fits in all the qualities that a typical dystopian main male protagonist, I don't find myself fangirl about him. I don't know if it's because of the fact that he's definitely not tough enough, or he's not that firm on his decisions, or Four and Alex and Adam and Perry are just too awesome. He's a good guy though, even though there's still something mysterious about him.

There isn't much to comment on this book. But I guess the best thing about the book is that the chaos are actually chaos. The tasks are actually challenging, and the threats are very high. The worst thing about the book is probably the first chapters, because they are not that attractive. I was like what are you talking about when I started reading it, especially when the point of view jumps from Amy to Elder constantly. But the supposed awesome part are actually, very awesome. Good job here, Beth.

I'm reading A Million Suns right now. Hope that this sequel will be better than Across The Universe.

Rating: 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment