Friday, November 30, 2012

Undeadly: Review

It's been quite a period of time since I wrote the last review. So another one's here, Undeadly by Michele Vail, the first book of The Reaper Diaries.

(Warning: if you don't like reading harash reviews then you should be careful)

Summary:

The day I turned 16, my boyfriend-to-be died. I brought him back to life. Then things got a little weird...

Molly Bartolucci wants to blend in, date hottie Rick and keep her zombie-raising abilities on the down-low. Then the god Anubis chooses her to become a reaper—and she accidentally undoes the work of another reaper, Rath. Within days, she's shipped off to the Nekyia Academy, an elite boarding school that trains the best necromancers in the world. And her personal reaping tutor? Rath.

Life at Nekyia has its plusses. Molly has her own personal ghoul, for one. Rick follows her there out of the blue, for another...except, there's something a little off about him. When students at the academy start to die and Rath disappears, Molly starts to wonder if anything is as it seems. Only one thing is certain—-Molly's got an undeadly knack for finding trouble....


***

I have to start this review with one sentence: I have no idea what to say about it.

Yeah, you heard me right. Not that it's too awesome (like Deity!) to write a proper review. The thing is I don't know how to describe it. Maybe the best word is weird. Weird isn't a bad thing. But sometimes it isn't a good thing either. Why weird? 

Well first off this is about zombies. There are a slightly fewer number of YA novels about zombies (dystopia is the trend, I think). But what makes it really strange is the words. Don't get me wrong, Michele's words are freaking hilarious, especially the first part of the book. I can't stop laughing because our main character's always using OUR words. Not like those wise heka.  

The second is the plot. It's a little bit scattered. For some time I'm utterly confused by the whole situation. I have never met this kind of problem before. It's like I'm losing my grip to the plot, and I'm kinda annoyed by this. And the "chaos" towards the end of the book isn't as good as it tries to sound. Well, maybe we can sense a "Uh, oh" in the end of the book, but the adventure isn't even close to interesting. Usually an author will put a lot of effort on the chaotic part. Well, if the author had put any effort on it, I can't quite see it, to be honest.

The third is Rath. Now this is the center of the weird thing. Come on, I thought there would be more Rath even though he's a pain in anyone's ass. I get that it's a little bit like Obsidian, where Daemon didn't and wouldn't confess something to Kat. But there are too little Rath, okay. It's a good thing to center Molly as the main character. But I also understand why people demand more Rath because there are definitely some chemistry swirling between them, which is very interesting but sadly, hardly mentioned.

If you want me to give you a resemblance, I would say that Undeadly is like the combination of Marked (House of Night #1) and a little bit Obsidian (Lux #1). This is a very odd combination. Who knows Marked and Obsidian can be mixed together? They are totally two different books, for gods' sake. Maybe that's the reason why the whole weird thing is out.

This book is not bad, actually. There are quite a number of fun stuff and good words. But I won't say this is the best book among YA novels. Obviously Michele needs a hard improvement on writing skills (hope that this is not too harsh).

Rating: 6.5/10

Oh and if you wanna read the sequel of The Reaper Diaries, you won't wanna miss this. This was mentioned in previous blog posts.

UNCHOSEN (The Reaper Diaries #2)

Coming 2013.


***
Extra: What I'm reading now:

Across The Universe (Across The Universe #1)



I'm so outdated. 

And I'm flabbergasted surprised by the whole 80-chapters thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment