Saturday, November 10, 2012

Flashback Review: Clockwork Prince

March is coming. It's time to prepare for the grand finale of The Infernal Devices series by our beloved Cassie, Clockwork Princess. There are two things I need to prepare. One, is to buy as many tissues as I can in these months cuz let's face it, Cassie herself said that it's BITTERSWEET. It's hard not to cry, I guess. And the second, is re-reading Clockwork Prince.

Summary:

In the magical underworld of Victorian London, Tessa Gray has at last found safety with the Shadowhunters. But that safety proves fleeting when rogue forces in the Clave plot to see her protector, Charlotte, replaced as head of the Institute. If Charlotte loses her position, Tessa will be out on the street and easy prey for the mysterious Magister, who wants to use Tessa's powers for his own dark ends.
With the help of the handsome, self-destructive Will and the fiercely devoted Jem, Tessa discovers that the Magister's war on the Shadowhunters is deeply personal. He blames them for a long-ago tragedy that shattered his life. To unravel the secrets of the past, the trio journeys from mist-shrouded Yorkshire to a manor house that holds untold horrors, from the slums of London to an enchanted ballroom where Tessa discovers that the truth of her parentage is more sinister than she had imagined. When they encounter a clockwork demon bearing a warning for Will, they realize that the Magister himself knows their every move and that one of their own has betrayed them.

Tessa finds her heart drawn more and more to Jem, though her longing for Will, despite his dark moods, continues to unsettle her. But something is changing in Will; the wall he has built around himself is crumbling. Could finding the Magister free Will from his secrets and give Tessa the answers about who she is and what she was born to do?

As their dangerous search for the Magister and the truth leads the friends into peril, Tessa learns that when love and lies are mixed, they can corrupt even the purest heart.

***

It's hard to write a review about an awesome book. And you know what? Reading all these anguish, agony, love, passion, hurt between Tessa, Jem and Will AGAIN is as hard as reading the book for the first time. Yeah, I've read it for like, a million times since I picked up the book for the first time. But the emotions still don't cease to amaze me. It's like a tight feeling in the chest that has been covered for most of the time, but the feeling will be revealed and your heart aches whenever you read those parts like 1) Chapter 12 - Masquerade, 2) Chapter 9 - Fierce Midnight (Is the Jem/Tessa scene in chapter 9?) and 3) Chapter 20 - The Bitter Root.

The book is somehow like a drug to an addict like me. I can't stop picking up the book again and again even though deep down I'm crystal clear that it will give me those heartache and intense feelings once again. But maybe I shouldn't resist re-reading it because I really doubt if I will be able to pick it up once I read Clockwork Princess.

I still loathe the love-triangle between Tess, Will and Jem. Don't get me wrong. I always like the plot and I appreciate the skill of Cassie making us crazy. But you know what? All of them shouldn't suffer things like this. Not even Tessa. I am still a little bit angry about Cassie separating our whole fandom to two main teams: Team Will and Team Jem. Old stuff, I know. But I always want both of them to be happy. I just can't imagine what it would be like in Clockwork Princess.

But one thing is getting better when I keep re-reading Clockwork Prince. I can pick up some more clues that will hint about what will happen in Clockwork Princess. Another thing that is also getting better is that... well, I'm not so caught up by the fact that Mortmain is trying to destroy all the Shadowhunters. The threats no longer bother me so much like it was when I first read it.  I guess I'm getting use to the stakes because... well, Cassie is good at writing impossible tasks which the difficulty is higher than ever.

I can't believe Clockwork Princess is only 4 and a half months away. I am sure I will miss all the characters and the books, including this one. But like I said, I'm not sure if I can pick up this book anymore after March. Maybe it's because reading this will only remind me the loss of my beloved characters, unless CP2 has a really happy ending, which I really doubt its existence. But I love this book. Like, crazily in love with this book. *Wow, I must admit that I've never been this bold.*

Rating: 10/10!

(Above: The first time I give 10 out of 10!)

No comments:

Post a Comment